- B.A. Honours in Modern Languages, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela (Spain), 1995
- Postgraduate Diploma in "Fundamentos Metodológicos para la enseñanza del español como lengua extranjera", Universidad Menéndez y Pelayo, Santander (UIMP), Spain, August 1995. Título de Experto en Enseñanza del Español como Lengua Extranjera (Expert in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language), 2005
- Postgraduate Diploma in European Business Administration, West Kent College, Tonbridge, Kent, 1996
- MA in Bilingual Translation, University of Westminster, 2000
- Postgraduate Diploma in Translation for the Media (Dubbing and Subtitling), City University, 2002
- MA in Cinema Studies (Máster en Historia y Estética de la Cinematografía), Universidad de Valladolid, 2004
- MPhil in Translation Studies. Postgraduate Certificate of "Suficiència investigadora" (Research Competence in Translation Studies) and Diploma d'Estudis Avançats" (Diploma of Advanced Studies in Translation Studies), Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain, 2005
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, University of Westminster (2013). Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education, University of Westminster (2014).
- MA in Higher Education, University of Westminster (2017)
My main role at the University of Westminster is teaching undergraduate language and translation modules and supervising final-year projects and dissertations. Modules I currently lead on or teach include The Spanish World and the Word 1/2, Expressions of Spanish Culture 1/2, Themes in Hispanic Contemporary Studies and Spanish Translation 3. I also act as personal tutor for undergraduate students at levels 4, 5 and 6.
Other roles I am currently undertaking at the University of Westminster include:
- MLC Course Leader (Level 5)
- Global Engagement Coordinator/Academic Exchange Coordinator for the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures
- SSH Teaching, Learning and Assessment representative
- SSH International Committee representative.
I acted as the Spanish Chief Examiner for the British Ministry of Defence Language Examination Board (MODLEB) between 1999 and 2013, and have worked as a language consultant for a number of language publishing houses including Hodder Arnold, John Murray and Oxford University Press. I have recently co-written a Spanish textbook called "Speed Up your Spanish: Strategies to Avoid Common Errors" and co-edited "Panorámica actual de la cultura ecuatoriana" with Rocío Durán Barba, Claude Couffon and Michael Handelsman. Furthermore, I have undertaken free-lance translation work since 1999 and have translated four books on the natural world for Tick Tock Publishing: Under the Ocean, From Pole to Pole, In the Dessert and In the Rainforest. Between 2012 and 2013 I co-organised at Westminster an international conference called "Languages of Exile: translating modern and contemporary Hispanic literature" and between 2013 and 2014 I co-organised the 36th Annual Conference of the Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies at the University of Westminster. I am currently a member of the ACIS executive group.
My current research focuses on the academic experience of international students in the UK.
For details of all my research outputs, visit my WestminsterResearch profile.