I'm Director of Student Enterprise for the University and founder of the Creative Enterprise Centre
I also teach in the School of Media and Communication including on the MA International Media Business course, which I created in 2011.
My latest book is Understanding Media Production (Routledge). I have also published a number of articles on the theory and practice of media production including a chapter in the recent Making Media collection edited by Deuze and Prenger.
My background is in TV and radio development and production I worked for the BBC as Head of Development for Documentary and Specialist Factual, leading a team of producers developing new content (formats, series, documentaries and drama documentaries) for BBC Television channels and platforms. Previously I directed and produced a wide range of drama, documentary, current affairs, news, arts and entertainment programmes (Panorama, Rough Justice, Inside Story).
2012 UWSU Staff Appreciation Award for 'Outstanding Teacher' in the Faculty of Media Art and Design.
2012 UWSU Staff Appreciation Award for Most Nominations from students across the categories of teaching awards
2012 WEx Grant for Social Media Projects promoting UK professional (e.g. British Animation Awards) and student content in emerging markets.
2016 UWSU Staff Appreciation Award
- PI Creative Enterprise Zone, Harrow Consortium (GLA)
- Principal Investigator for the Technology Strategy Board funded Radio Connected Research & Development project working with UK Radio broadcasters (such as Radioplayer and Mixcloud) to develop and evaluate new digital platforms for radio.
- Co-investigator for the AHRC Digital Transformations Research Development Grant 'Community-powered transformations' working with The Tate, The British Library, the BBC and University College London to explore how arts and cultural organisations can use digital media to engage with audiences.
- Professional Practice Research Consultant to Propeller TV (Strategic Consultancy to UK's only Chinese owned TV channel, on Sky platform and IPTV.
- Advised on programme acquisition and development, expansion into UK and partnership with China's Cultural Industry Investment Fund (CCIF) and China's Media regulator (SARFT)
Appointments Until 2008
- I worked for the BBC including as Head of Development for Documentary and Specialist Factual, working with BBC Channel Controllers and Genre Commissioners and leading a team of producers developing new content (formats, series, documentaries and drama documentaries) for BBC Television channels and platforms.
- Previously he directed and produced a wide range of drama, documentary, current affairs, news, arts and entertainment programmes (Panorama, Rough Justice, Inside Story). In 2007 Film selected for the Input Festival in Geneva 2006 Nominated for a Grierson Documentary Awards for Best Drama Documentary.
For details of all my research outputs, visit my WestminsterResearch profile.