I am a Senior Lecturer in Spanish at Polylang, the Open Language Programme of the University of Westminster.
At Westminster, I have held a number of roles such as Poylang Spanish Coordinator, DELE (Diploma de Español Lengua Extranjera) Exams Officer and Head of Exams, and Spanish Language and Culture consultant in two AHRC (Arts & Humanities Research Council) funded knowledge transfer projects ('Museums and Galleries and the International Visitor Experience', and 'Languages and International Events').
I am the founder of For LEARNING SPANISH, an educational centre dedicated to coaching and training language students and teachers on principles and strategies that help students to be effective language learners. And I have recently published 'SMART-Ways for Learning SPANISH', a book for students of Spanish up to intermediate level and for teachers who would like to train their students in effective learning principles and strategies.
My aim, as a Teacher Trainer, is to help teachers to develop the knowledge and skills needed to teach language learning strategies in foreign language courses. I currently deliver teacher training sessions on this topic in the General Certificate in Spanish Language Teaching to Adults (GCSLTA) run by the Instituto Cervantes London. I have also given teacher training presentations and workshops at the University of Westminster, the University of Notingham, Universidad de Salamanca (Spain), ELE-UK annual conferences, Consejería de Educación en el Reino Unido y República de Irlanda, Instituto Cervantes London and Instituto Cervantes Berlin.
I have worked as a Spanish Development Editor in graded readers projects for Hodder & Stoughton, and before joining the University of Westminster, I worked extensively as a Learning Advisor, and as a Spanish Teacher and Examiner in British and Spanish educational institutions and business organisations.
I graduated from the Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca (Spain) with a BA (Hons) in Education, and later went on to complete an MA in Modern Languages in Education at the UCL Institute of Education (London).
I have been trained in “Improving Language Learning Styles-and-Strategies-Based Instruction” at the University of Minnesota (USA), and in coaching skills at the University of Westminster and The Coaching Academy. I also hold an EUROLTA Teacher Trainer qualification, a DELE (Diploma de Español Lengua Extranjera) examiner accreditation, a IH Certificate in Spanish Language Teaching to Adults, and a IH Certificate in Online Tutoring.
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, member of the AILA Research Network on Learner Autonomy, and a member of ELE-UK (UK Association for the Teaching of Spanish in Higher and Adult Education).
I teach Spanish Language in Polylang, the University's Open Language Programme.
My teaching approach is a synthesis of communicative language teaching principles, accelerated learning techniques and strategy awareness-raising activities that support the effective development of communicative competence, learner’s autonomy and lifelong learning strategies.
My research interests lie in the field of language learning strategies on two areas: a) learning strategies used by good language learner, b) frameworks for language learning strategy training. The research has a particular focus on learner’s voice i.e. learners perceptions regarding their own learning process and strategy use.
My current research project in progress is on vocabulary learning strategies of good learners of Spanish as Foreign Language.
Selected projects, papers and workshops
- Helping Students to Be Better Independent Language Learners. Staff Development for Evening Language Programme /University of Westminster, London, 19 November 2019).
- The Golden Keys for Excellent Speaking Skills. Staff Development for Languages Programme (London, Morley College,10 August 2019).
- Helping Students to Be Better Independent Language Learners. Staff Development for Languages Programme, 4 July 2019, Morley College, London.
- Las estrategias de aprendizaje y las inteligencias múltiples.Taller para profesores de ELE en formación (Instituto Cervantes Londres, 31 de mayo 2019).
- Las estrategias de aprendizaje y las inteligencias múltiples. Taller para profesores de ELE en formación ( Instituto Cervantes Londres, 9 de febrero 2019).
- Flashcards for successful language learning. Workshop for students (London Channing School, 18 January 2019).
- Boost Your Coursework and Exam Results with Effective Vocabulary Learning Strategies. Workshop for Open Language Centre students. (University of Westminster, 12 & 15 November 2018).
- Las estrategias de aprendizaje y las inteligencias múltiples. Taller para profesores de ELE en formación (Instituto Cervantes Londres, 27 de octubre 2018).
- Estrategias simples y efectivas para desarrollar la expresión oral y autoeficacia en Secundaria. Taller para profesores organizado por la Consejería de Educación (London, 16 June 2018).
- Effective Language Learner Strategies for Developing Students´ Competence and Confidence in Speaking Spanish. Presentation at ELEUK 2018 (King´s College London, 15 June 2018).
- Las estrategias de aprendizaje y las inteligencias múltiples. Taller para profesores de ELE en formación, (Instituto Cervantes Londres, 4th & 5th May 2018).
- Estrategias de aprendizaje simples y efectivas para la expresión oral – Parte 2. Taller para profesores de ELE (Instituto Cervantes London, April 2018).
- Effective Flashcards for Better Speaking Performance and Confidence. Workshops for Polylang -Open Language Centre students (University of Westminster, 27th & 28 th March 2018).
- Estrategias de aprendizaje simples y efectivas para la expresión oral – Parte 1 . Taller para profesores de ELE (Instituto Cervantes London, 16th March 2018).
- Estrategias de aprendizaje para ELE: De la teoría a la práctica. Taller para profesores de ELE (Instituto Cervantes London, 9th February 2018).
- Estrategias para un aprendizaje independiente y efectivo. Taller para profesores de ELE (Instituto Cervantes Berlín, 15th December 2017).
- 3+1 Golden Keys for Successful Language Learning. Workshops for Polylang -Open Language Centre students (University of Westminster, 6th & 8 th November 2017).
- Making Language Learning More Effective In and Outside The Classroom With Learning Strategies. Staff Development Session for languages department (University of Nottingham, 25th November 2016).
- (Towards) research informed principles for teaching and learning vocabulary. ELE-UK Encuentro 2016 (University of Reading, 24th June 2016).
- Supporting flexible and lifelong learning with language learning strategies. Staff Development Session for the Westminster Professional Language Centre (University of Westminster, 20th June 2016).
- Estrategias para aprender ELE dentro y fuera del aula. Talleres de español de la Consejería de Educación en el Reino Unido (Instituto español "Vicente Cañada Blanch", London, 18th June 2016).
- Vocabulary Learning Strategies of GLL. WPLC Research Seminar (University of Westminster, 28th October 2015)
- Equipemos a los alumnos de ELE para la autonomía con estrategias de aprendizaje. Workshop delivered at an ELE-UK teacher training event (Instituto Cervantes in London, 5th December 2014).
- Exploring the listening process to inform the development of strategy awareness-raising materials. Action research project focused on identifying (a) strategies used by the students in listening coursework tasks, (b) easy and difficult aspects of the tasks, and (c) affective responses to the tasks, (University of Westminster, 2009-10).
- Implementing a strategy awareness raising programme: strategy changes and feedback. Action research project aimed at analysing the impact of a strategy awareness raising programme on the students' learning process in three main areas: strategy awareness, strategy use in learning Spanish, and transfer of strategies from Spanish to other subjects (University of Westminster, 2007-8).
- Seeking to facilitate language learning – Explicit learner strategy awareness training in the FL classroom. Paper presented at the ‘Interface with Linguistics Conference’, (University of Westminster, 27th October 2007).
- Piloting a framework for learner strategy training to support independent learning. Paper presented at the ‘Linking teaching and research in Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies Conference’, Subject Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies Conference (University of Southampton,10th July 2007).
- Supporting independent learning through 'uncomplicated' and effective learner strategy training. Paper presented at the Teaching and Learning Symposium (University of Westminster, 5th July 2006).
- Enseñar estrategias de aprendizaje en la clase de ELE: por qué, cuáles, cómo y cuándo. Workshop delivered at the summer school for teachers of Spanish as Foreign Language (Universidad de Salamanca, 3rd August 2005).
- Towards Strategy Instruction – A preliminary Exploration. Action research study aimed at exploring two students’ account of (a) the language learning strategies they used more frequently and factors that may have influenced their choice;(b) their assessment of the strategies used; and (c) strategies that they might have liked to be taught in their language courses (MA Dissertation, UCL Institute of Education, London 2002).
For details of all my research outputs, visit my WestminsterResearch profile.