I'm part of
Connect with me
Walaa Bakry joined WBS in January 2007 as a visiting lecturer and in January 2008 was appointed as Director of Business Development at the then Harrow Business School. He is now the Academic Director of the Business Summer School. Over the previous 20 years, he has held lecturing and academic management posts at Middlesex, the University of North London (now London Met) and City University. He has a strong IT background and carried out many consultancy projects in both the public and the private sectors. He has written many articles and edited various books in e-learning, project management and Information Architecture. Walaa is a chartered member of the BCS and is an academic assessor for the society.
Consultancy and Professional Practice
Walaa has extensive experience in consulting and managing professional services, particularly in IT in the financial sector. He led and carried out a number of assignments, such as:
- Developing the IT plan for a new Credit Insurance Company in the Middle East; Client: COFACE, Paris (Oct 07- Jan 08)
- Chief Architect; Developing an IT strategy for a Credit Insurance Company; Client: ADE Belgium (Jan 07- April 07)
- Chief Architect for a Government Department IT strategy; Client: COPCA Spain for the Ministry of Trade and Industry (the Government of Egypt (Sep 2005 - Jan 2006)
- Development plan and specification for a an e-learning tool Kit; Client: UKEUniversity. (2003-2005)
Walaa also has a strong track record in attracting external funding particularly for consultancy and professional activities. Examples of such funding include
- Assisting his former employer in being awarded a contract to develop E-learning programmes with a value of £1.3 M
- €8K, for an EU - Leonardo (Usability testing of [email protected] online guidance for older people wishing to start a business, (2004-2005)
- £ 15K from JISC (IPR in e-learning); (2004-2005)
- €32K from the EU - SCRATES - MINERVA (e-Forminfo - online case study assessment); 2004-2005.
- £102K from the LSC/ESF to develop training programmes for SMEs, 2003-2004.
MSc Business Systems Analysis and Design, City University London PG Dip Business Administration, Cairo University BSc (Hons) Management Science; major Computing & Information Systems
Member of the British Computer Society, MBCS & CITP Member of the Association of Project Management (APMG), Accredited PRINCE2 Practitioner and trainer
Walaa's main areas of teaching include e-business, project management, systems analysis and design, quality management, IT strategies, and e-commerce. He has extensive experience as an external examiner and external assessor for validating academic provision; below are examples of such activities.
- External Examiner, University of Westminster, Department of Information Systems and Software Engineering, 2002-2006 (prior to joining Westminster)
- External Assessor for validation events: Oxford Brookes University, Business School, overseas provision UG, Hungary, 2008
- Hertfordshire University, Business School, PG collaborative provision, UK, 2008 and CPD accreditation in 2009.
- Staffordshire University, Business and Computing, overseas validation, 2001 - STMC Shanghai. 2002, APIIT India and APIIT Sri Lanka, PG provision Computing, 2003, Stoke Campus; franchise of UG programmes in Computing, 2004, for Golf College, Bahrain.
- Middlesex University; Social Work, 1999 (Chair); Video and Sonic Art, 2000 (Chair); Family Health, 2000 (Chair); Teacher Training, 2002 (Member on behalf of the University ASQC)
Walaa's research interests are in e-learning, e-commerce, software reuse, specification reuse, project management, quality management, impact of IT on businesses, and IT strategies in micro-economics of newly privatised economies.