Dr Enrica Papa
I'm part of
I am a Senior Lecturer in Transport, and joined University of Westminster in September 2015. Before coming to London I worked as a researcher in Ghent University (Belgium), University of Amsterdam (The Netherlands), University of Rome and University Federico II (Italy). At the latter university I completed my PhD thesis (2006, cum laude) and MSc thesis (2002, cum laude).
September 2015 - present Senior Lecturer in Transport Planning University of Westminster, UK. From 2016 also Director of the MSc Transport Planning and Management,
June 2014 – September 2015 Research Fellow in Spatial and Mobility Planning, Ghent University, Belgium
September 2013 – May 2014 Research Fellow in Spatial and Mobility Planning, University of Amsterdam UvA, The Netherlands
July 2012 – July 2013 Research Fellow in Spatial and Mobility Planning, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
September 2006 – May 2012 Lecturer in Spatial Planning, University Federico II, Napoli, Italy
July 2007 – July 2009 Research Fellow in Spatial and Mobility Planning, University Federico II, Napoli, Italy
February 2006 – February 2007 Research Fellow in Sustainable Mobility Planning, AMRA Campania Region Excellence Research Centre
HIGHER EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
January 2014 Italian National Scientific Qualification (art.16 of the law 30 December 2010, n.240) to function as Associate Professor in Italian Universities in the sector 08/F1 Planning
2006 PhD in Mobility and Spatial Planning (cum laude), University of Naples Federico II, Italy. PhD visiting researcher at AMIDSt Amsterdam Institute for Metropolitan and International Development Studies, Department of Geography and Planning at the Universiteit van Amsterdam UvA (December 2004-April 2005). Supervisor: prof. Luca Bertolini
2003 MSc in Governance of Urban Transport Systems, University of Naples Federico II, Italy
2002 MSc Architectural Engineering Distinction (110/110 cum laude) University of Naples Federico II Italy
1999 BSc in Architectural Engineering 1st Class Honours (110/110 cum laude) University of Naples Federico II Italy
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION AND MEMBER OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
· 2017 – present, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
· 2016 - present, Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and Associated Societies ICE
· 2015 - Member of the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation CIHT
· 2015 – present, Member of Transport Planning Society TPS
· 2003 – Civil Engineer (Italy). Member of the Engineer Society of the Province of Naples
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION AND MEMBER OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
• 2017 – present, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• 2016 - present, Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and Associated Societies ICE
• 2015 - Member of the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation CIHT
• 2015 – present, Member of Transport Planning Society TPS
• 2003 – Civil Engineer (Italy). Member of the Engineer Society of the Province of Naples
POSITION OF TRUST AND MEMBERSHIPS IN BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
• 2018 - present, Member of the Boards of Directors of the AET Association of European Transportation, with the role of Marketing and Ambassadors network leader
• 2018 – present, Member of the Board for the evaluation of Italian National PON Research project in the field of Sustainable Mobility, University and research Ministry, Italy D.D. 13 luglio 2017 n. 1735
• 2018 – present, PhD Commission member, University of Amsterdam , The Netherlands
• 2017 – present Scientific Committee member of the CAMI – Center for Automotive and Mobility Innovation, University Ca’ Foscari, Venice, Italy
• 2017 – 2018, PhD Commission member, University of Catania, Italy
• 2017 – present External Reviewer for European Research Council (ERC) in the field of Institutions, Values, Environment and Space
• 2015 – present, COST Action External Expert for evaluation of projects in the field Mobility
• 2012 – 2016, Member of the management committee of the Urbanism Literature Prize INU and the Literature Day of the Italian National Institute of Urbanism INU
OTHER APPOINTMENTS AND AFFILIATIONS
• 2018 – present, Member of the Regional Science Association RSA
• 2018 – present, NECTAR Cluster Accessibility network member
• 2018 – present, External Reviewer for the research Fund FUTURE - Inventer la Ville de Demain, Universitè Paris-Est
• 2017 – present ,COST Connect network member
• 2017- present. Expert and External Reviewer for the Polish National Center, Norodowe Centrum Nuaki in the field Sustainable Mobility
• 2015 – present, Mobility track leader of the AESOP Association of European Schools of Planning and coordinator of the AESOP thematic group ‘Transportation planning and Policy’
• 2009 – present, Member of the AESOP Association of European Schools of Planning
• 2009 – present Member of the network World Society for Transport and Land Use Research (WSTLUR)
• 2014 – 2016 Member of the VRP Vlaamse vereniging voor ruimte & planning
• 2012- 2015 Member of ISOCARP International Society of City and Regional Planners
• 2012 Coordinator of the Summer Training School COST TU1002 Accessibility Instruments for Planning Practices, with the involvement of more than 20 international students and organization of excursions and guided tours and visits to relevant institutions and organisations, Naples, July 2012
• 2004 - 2009 Member of INU Italian National Institute of Urbanism
• 2002 – present Member of the Engineer Professional Association of the Province of Naples
• 2004 – 2009 Member of the International scientific network of Geographical Analysis, Urban Modelling, Spatial Statistics
September 2016 – present Course Leader of the MSc Transport Planning and Management, University of Westminster. Teaching at MSc-level modules including Transport Economics; Land Use Planning and Transport; Dissertations (Transport). Supervising MSc dissertations (7-9 per year) and PhD students
September 2015 –September 2016 Teaching the modules Transport Economics; Land Use Planning and Transport; Survey and Statistical Methods for Transport and Public Passenger Transport. Supervising MSc dissertations (7-9 per year)
January 2015 – July 2015 Module Introduction to Planning Theory MSc Urbanism and Spatial Planning, Ghent University
July 2012 – July 2013 Co- supervising MSc dissertations (2-3 per year), University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
December 2011- - March 2012 Module Transport Geography MSc Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Architecture and Planning, University of Naples Federico II
March 2009 - June 2011
Module Spatial Analysis Methods and Techniques for Transport Planning, BSc Environmental Planning, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Naples Federico II
Supervising MSc Dissertation (1-2 yearly) and Co-supervising PhD students
March 2006 to June2009 Module City and Mobility Planning, MSc Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Naples Federico II
Supervising MSc Dissertation (1-2 yearly)
2005 - 2006 Tutor for supporting students in supplementary educational activities, type B, University of Naples Federico II
March 2004 to June2005 Teaching assistant in the Course of Urban mobility planning, BSc in Environmental Planning, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Naples Federico II
SELECTED GUEST LECTURES, PLENARY, KEYNOTE, OR OTHER INVITED TALKS
• Guest lecture PhD Seminar, at University of Naples Federico II, Naples, October 2017 and May 2018
• Guest Lecture at the London School of Economics, LSE, London, UK, April 2018
• Guest Lecturer PhD Seminar at University Ca’Foscari, Venice, Italy, March 2018
• Keynote at the International meeting for urban walkability, University of Cagliari, Italy, January 2018
• Keynote at the AESOP ATLOT Summer School, University of Porto, Portugal, July 2017
• Guest speaker at the Socially Just Transport group, University College London, London, February 2017
• Keynote at CPRE Policy Seminar Briefing, London, April 2016
• Key note at the CVS Colloquium Vervoersplanolgisch Speurwerk, Antwerp, November 2015
• Guest lecturer at the University of Amsterdam UvA – Ruimte en Mobiliteit, CSW, Bachelor Sociale Geografie en Planologie, February 2015,October 2014, February 2014, October 2013.
• Guest lecturer at Ghent University, Mobiliteitsinfrastructuur en ruimte, Faculteit Ingenieurswetenschappen en Architectuur, MSc in de Stedenbouw en de Ruimtelijke Planning, October 2014 and November 2014.
• Guest lecturer Université Marne la Vallée Paris in visit in Bari, on the theme Strategic Plan BA2015, strategies for the mobility at the metropolitan scale, 03rd April 2014.
• Key note at Summer Training School COST TU1002 Accessibility Instruments for Planning Practices, University of Naples, Italy July, 2012
• Guest lecturer at the University of Tor Vergata, Bachelor Transport Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Rome, May 2013.
• Keynote at the National Conference of Transport Planning Lecturer, SIDT PhD Congress, Palermo, December 2010
• Invited talks at the AFORTRA Master in Environmental, Quality and Governance, on the theme of High Speed Train Impacts, Reggio Calabria, May 2006
• Guest lecturer at the International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) on the theme A station Areas Planning Support System, The Netherlands, June 2005
• Invited talk at the Tenth IFHP Urban Planning and Design Summer School 2004 “To Regenerate Urban Heritage: Linking Public Spaces, Improving a Housing Estate” at the Helsinki University of Technology TK, Finland, Helsinki, 1-14 August 2004
My research is positioned at the intersection of urban, transport and economic geography. Key research interests include geography of mobility, planning for sustainable accessibility, Transit Oriented Development, transitions to low-carbon and low-energy living and societies, decision-making processes and new ways to integrate these research interests.
2018 - present Co-Investigator, Governing the socio-spatial impacts of Automated and Connected Vehicles, led by prof. Luca Staricco. Politecnico di Torino– 24 months.
2017- present Co-investigator Improving wellbeing through urban infrastructure in Indonesia, funded by Global Challenges Research Fund: Cities & Infrastructure, principal investigator Prof. Johan Woltjer
2016-2018 Co-investigator, MOVING TO ACCESS, financed by Volvo Research and Education Foundations, led by the Brookings Institutions, Washington, USA.
2014-2015 Co-investigator, SAFE-ICE research project, Innovation for Low Carbon Economy Funded by INTERREG IV A. Principal investigator: prof. Greet Van Eetveld.
2013 - 2014 Co-investigator, An accessibility evaluation of TOD experiences in European metropolitan Areas. Funded by the Dutch National Scientific Council (NWO) within the programme Sustainable Accessibility of the Randstad (SAR) “Implementing Transit Oriented Development iTOD”. Principal investigator: prof. Luca Bertolini.
2010-2014 Co-investigator, COST ACTION TU1002 Accessibility Instruments for Planning Practice. Chair of the Action: Cecilia Silva; Vice Chair of the Action: Luca Bertolini. Funded by Cost - European Cooperation in Science and Technology Office, EU. Member Management Committee; Financial Rapporteur; Italy 01 Work Unit Leader; supervisor of the JRN Junior Research Network
2011-2013 Co-investigator, Sustainable Urban Mobility - PRIN 2009 Funded by the Italian National University Ministry. Principal Investigator and coordinator: prof. Agostino Nuzzolo.
2011-2012 Principal investigator, SNAP tool. Station Area Accessibility Planning. TOD in Naples, Caserta and Salerno Metropolitan Area (U.NA.CA.SA), Department of Urban Planning, Architecture Faculty
2009 - 2011 Co-investigator Planning for Sustainable Infrastructures Funded by University of Naples, Department of Structures for Engineering and Architecture DIST. Principal Investigator: prof. Carmela Gargiulo
2007 - 2009 Co-investigator, Environmental Assessment for Transport Planning Funded by AMRA Regional Study Centre Environment analysis and monitoring, Campania Region. Principal Investigator: prof. Gaetano Manfredi
2006 Post-doc fellowship winner at OTB Research Institute for Housing, Urban and Mobility Studies at the Geo Information and Land Development Research Group of TU Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands.
2006 Co-investigator Urban Dynamics and Sustainable Planning in Naples Funded by LSE London School of Economics, UK. Principal Investigators: prof. Raffella Nanetti, prof. Robert Leonadi
2003-2006 PhD Research grant in Transport and Spatial Planning, funded by MIUR Italian Ministry of University and Education and University of Naples Federico II, Italy. Supervisor: prof. Elvira Petroncelli
2002-2004 Co-investigator Land use and Transportation Policies Evaluation WP6.2 , funded by the Regional Transport Center of Campania Region and University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy. Principal investigator: prof. Ennio Cascetta
1999 - 2000 Socrates - Erasmus grant, funded by University of Naples Federico II and Universidad Politecnica di Madrid UPMs (September 1999– March 2000). Supervisor: prof. Enrique Calderòn