I am a Lecturer at the School of Media Art and Design (Film and Photography) and at the Faculty of Science and Technology (Electronic and Computer Science), University of Westminster. Looking for steam back in 2006-2007 I self-taught Econometrics & Financial Derivatives supported by taking 3 MSc modules in Quantitative Finance Prior to this, I was a researcher in Astrophysics, 1995-2005, including 5 years worth of postdoctoral positions at Queen Mary and the European Space Agency. I got a PhD in Astrophysics, Queen Mary University, 2000. Trained as a Physicist in France; my MSc subject was Space Plasma Physics (a mix of Electromagnetism, Fluid Dynamics, Nuclear Physics).
Lecturing at University: I teach engineering mathematics, physics, and image data processing to Level 3-6 BSc students in Imaging Science and Computer Science courses.
I started in 2006 as a Visiting Lecturer and was made permanent part-time at FST (Faculty of Science and Technology) in 2015. I worked in both design & teaching (assessment, interactive lectures, hand-on practice, blended learning.)
After learning how to teach “by doing” I studied with WEX at the University of Westminster and obtained a PgCert in Higher Education (distinction), 2014. For this, I completed, with much sweat, 3 modules of 60 credits at level 7 (‘Supporting Learning’, ‘Assessment Feedback and Practice’, ‘Preparing for Online Distance Learning’).
Modules I taught in (lectures or tutorials):
- ECSC408.1 Mathematics for Computing
- EICG402.1 Maths for Game Development
- EICG509.1 Applied Maths and Physics
- MCPH401.Y Skills & CP Contextual Studies
- MDPI401.Y Skills & PDIT Contextual Studies
- MDPI502.2 Imaging Sciences (not currently available)
- MDPI603.1 Advanced Imaging System Performance
- EIMM508 Image Processing
- ECSC301 Discrete and Continuous Mathematics
Private Tutoring: One-to-one Math, Physics, Sciences teaching at GCSE & A-level (OCR, Edexcel, AQA)
Current research: I'm interested in participating in research in the fields of Imaging Science or Big Data.
Previous research (1995-2005):
- Publications: a dozen articles in international scientific journals.
- Topic: Analysis of spacecraft data (electromagnetic fields, waves and particles measurements) for studying the magnetospheres of the Sun and the Earth.
- Member of 3 international space missions (WIND, ULYSSES, CLUSTER).
- Awards: by ESA for top story (2007) and scientific contribution to the CLUSTER mission (2005)
- Data work: mine, organize, process, analyse, case study, large-scale survey ― Analysis Techniques:, parametric modelling, numerical methods, 4D time-series, spectral analysis
- Examples of scientific studies: intermittence in turbulence spectra, monitoring change of conditions (regimes volatility), jumps/shocks, calculation of moments from particles probability distributions of velocity, characterization of electromagnetic wave properties, wave-particle interaction
- Coding & algorithms: data format conversion, instrument calibration, data structuring, data pre-conditioning, noise removal, evaluation of trends, automated detection of events, wrappers to foreign code, coordinates system transformations, image processing