- DSc, Computer Science
- PhD, Computer Science
- MEng, Computer Engineering
Awards and Honours
- Visiting Lab Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Lab (PNNL), USA, since Nov. 2014.
- Honorary Professor, Technical University of Sofia, Dec. 2011.
- Certificate of Appreciation, IEEE Computer Society, July 2010.
- Bulgarian National Scientific Award "Pythagoras" - for a scientist abroad with significant contribution to the country, Feb. 2009.
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to the CoreGRID Executive Committee, Aug. 2008.
- Certificate of Appreciation, IEEE Computer Society, TC on Services Computing, July 2008.
- Best Paper Award received from ICCC 2004 Conference for "Developing Grid Services with Jini and JXTA", Sept. 2004.
Significant contributions to international professional bodies
- Governor, IEEE Computer Society (2015 - );
- Co-Chair IEEE Ad Hoc Committee “Evolution of the Periodicals Publication Space” (2015 - );
- Member, IEEE CS 70th Anniversary Committee (2015 - );
- Member, IEEE CS Constitution and Bylaws Committee (2015 - );
- Chair for Sister TC Interaction, IEEE TC on Scalable Computing (2011 - );
- Topic Leader, “Tools and Environments for Application Development and Execution”, ERCIM CoreGRID WG (2009 - );
- (2008 - to date) - Area Editor for High Performance Computing, IEEE Computer, IEEE CS press, USA.
- (2004 - 2012) - Co-Editor of the CoreGRID series of volumes, Springer, USA.
- (2001 - 2015) - Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Scientific Programming, IOP Press, The Netherlands.
- (2005 - to date) - Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, Inderscience Publishers, UK.
- (2002 - 2005) - Member of Editorial Board, IEE Software Journal, IEE, UK.
Teaching experience and expertise
Main teaching subjects taught over the years at both undergraduate and postgraduate level include: Performance Analysis and Evaluation, Computer Architecture, Software Development, Operating Systems, Software Tools, Cryptography, Parallel and Distributed Systems, Modelling and Simulation, Network Programming with Java, Network Security.
Teaching management and administration responsibilities and experience
- Director, PG Programme of the Engineering Department (2009 – to-date)
- Course Leader, MSc Computer Network (2003 – to-date)
- UG Module Leader
- PG Module Leader
Main research interests and areas of expertise
Performance Analysis and Engineering, Energy Efficient Computing. Parallel and Distributed Computer Architectures, Cloud and Services Computing, Component-oriented Design of Extreme-scale Platforms and Applications, Autonomous Computing, Message-passing Environments, and Hybrid Programming Models and Paradigms.
Research management and administration responsibilities and experience
1996 – to-date Leader, Distributed and Intelligent Systems Research Group
2014 – 2015 University Research Centres Review Panel: Lead, Main Panel A (STEM);
2012 – 2014 Panel B Lead, University REF2014 Committee
2013 – 2015 Member, Research Committee, Faculty of Science and Technology
2009 – 2015 Coordinator, Research Cluster on Parallel and Distributed Computing
2009 – 2013 Management Committee Member, COST EU Network Action ComplexHPC
2003 – 2009 Research Director, Harrow School of Computer Science, University of Westminster
2006 – 2008 Leader, RAE 2008 submission in UoA 23 ‘Computer Science and Informatics’ for the University of Westminster’s
2006 – 2010 Executive Committee Member, EU STREP GridCOMP project
2004 – 2009 Executive Committee Member and Leader of the European Institute on ‘Grid Systems, Tools, and Environments’, EU CoreGRID project
1985 – 1989 Deputy Group Leader, Laboratory for Distributed Systems and Computer Networks, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
1982 – 1985 Project Manager of the first Bulgarian IBM PC/XT compatible computer (1984), Central Institute for Computer Technology, Sofia
For details of all my research outputs, visit my WestminsterResearch profile.