Dr Daphne Economou
I'm part of
I am a senior lecturer at the Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Science and Technology at the University of Westminster since January 2006.
Academic qualifications: Fellow of Higher Education Academy, since 2014, PhD in Virtual Reality Systems Design from the Manchester Metropolitan University in 2001, MA. in Design for Interactive Media (Multimedia), Middlesex University in 1996.
I have published a long list of journal papers, peer-reviewed international conference papers and I served as program committee member in several international conferences. I have industrial experience as Human Factors Engineer at Sony Broadcast and Development Research Labs, Basingstoke UK and I am member of British Computer Society, IEEE and British Interactive Media Association (BIMA). I have been involved in the programme committee of several international conferences and I have organised and chaired workshops in IEEE international conferences related to serious games.
I have 20 years of experience in teaching various topics in computer science at all levels in higher education. In the past I led and taught modules related to: Web Design and Development; Multimedia; Interaction Design; Cultural Informatics; Human Computer Interaction; Experimental Usability; 3D Modeling and Animation.
My current teaching responsibilities are the following:
- Course leader of BSc Multimedia Computing;
- Module leader of ECWM603 Mobile User Experience (Level 6) and ECWM402 Interactive Product Development (Level 4);
- Involved in teaching in the ECWM502 Advanced Client Side Web Development (Level 5);
- Personal Tutor;
- PhD Director of studies and 2nd supervisor;
- Member of the FST Learning, Teaching and Assessment Committee.
My research interest is in the area of User Experience Design, more specifically in the areas of Virtual Reality and Mobile Application Design applied in the domains of Education, Cultural Heritage and Healthcare.
I have been involved in several research projects funded by organisations like the Greek Ministry of Trade (Accessible Interactive Television Using the MPEG-21 Standard project - total budget of 486,000.00 Euros; EUMIDIS project - total budget of 486,000.00 Euros), SONY (one of which the Network Manager led to a patent), as well as projects funded internally by the University of Westminster. I led and successfully completed research projects funded by the European Union:
- Project Coordinator of the NHMA project funded by INTERREG III in 2005 – total budget of 122,000.00 Euros;
- Project Coordinator of the Mytilene e-guide project funded by LEADER+ in 2004 – total budget of 64,557.52.
My current research focuses on Serious Games in Education, Culture and Healthcare. I lead the “Serious Games at Westminster” ([email protected]) Research Group a multidisciplinary research group committed to both research and developmental activities in order to foster greater knowledge, understanding and use of serious games in different domains. The [email protected] work attracted interest from Cultural and Commercial Organisations.
[email protected] current group members:
- Daphne Economou (group leader), Computer Science (FST)
- Vassiliki Bouki, Computer Science (FST)
- Jeff Ferguson, Computer Science (FST)
- Maria Margeti, Computer Science (FST)
- Markos Mentzelopoulos, Computer Science (FST)
- Chrystalla Ferrier, Biomedical Sciences (FST)
- Anatoliy Markiv, Biomedical Sciences (FST)
- Lena Springer, East Asian Sciences and Traditions in Medicine (EAST medicine) FST
- Mark Gardner, Psychology (FST)
- Frands Pedersen, DPIR (FSSH)
- Paresh Kathrani, Law (FSSH)