Chaired by Nuala OSullivan, Senior Lecturer at Westminster Business School, the diverse group of speakers included Shane Jocelyn (Business Management 2011), who works in Investment management for TLG Capital, an award winning Investment firm, Dr Robert Davies (MBA 1988), a Management Consultant advising companies on global foresight, strategy, change and innovation, Patricia Byczek (Personnel and Development 2011) HR Manager at the New Horizon Youth Centre, a third sector organisation, and Zachary Latif (Commercial Studies 2002), Managing Director of TLG Capital and an experienced private equity trader.
Providing an overview of their career, the alumni panelists shared with fellow alumni and students the different routes they had each taken to get to where they are today including the ups and downs and U-turns they had faced along the way. Hearing all panelists speak the clear theme that came across during the evening was that there is no single clear career path to follow and that flexibility and hard work were the keys to success in business and beyond.
Top career tips from the evening:
1. Keep an achievement diary, capitalize on your strengths and learn how to improve your weaknesses
2. Be prepared to reinvent yourself every 3-5 years
3. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, if you’re not making mistakes you’re not doing anything different
4. Do what you love, and have passion for what you do
5. Recognize that change will happen, embrace it, don’t hide from it
Tweet us your career tips to #wbsalumni and we’ll feature a selection of the best online
Over 65 alumni and students attended this first alumni careers panel event with many more watching the event live online including alumni from as far afield as Nigeria and France.