The consumer version of Google+ is shutting down in April 2019. G Suite customers may see some upcoming changes to Google+ features including the list below.
What does this mean for me?
If you are using Google+ under your personal Gmail account then this has everything to do with you. Your account will soon be removed along with all of your content. However, if you are using your account through a University account then your account is safe. However, any community that you are a part of that is owned by a regular Gmail account will soon disappear.
Upcoming changes to Google+
Here are some of the changes users may experience with the shutdown of the consumer version of Google+:
- Communities outside the my.wesyminster.ac.uk domain without at least one G Suite owner will be deleted. Also, users will no longer be able to create public communities outside your domain.
- Google+ pages, events, and the Google+ profile field for “tagline” will be deleted for both G Suite and consumer users.
- Previously, upon G Suite customer cancellation, certain customers (e.g., edu customers) could continue to use Google+. Going forward, upon cancellation of G Suite, all G Suite customers’ content will be flagged for deletion.
- Content from consumer Google+ accounts will be deleted. Consumer users will also be removed from your circles and communities.
- For additional changes to Google+ features such as collections, circles, search, vanity URLs, and commenting in Blogger and other sites, see the Help Center article.
If the above applies to you, you may want to perform the actions below:
- A new version of the Google+ Android app will be released on February 22, 2019. Your G Suite Android users will need to update the Google+ Android app before March 7 2019 to continue using Google+ on their mobile devices. Old versions of the app will no longer be supported.
- If you own or moderate a community outside of the my.westminster.ac.uk domain and there are consumer contributions that they would like to keep, they should download and save them before April 2019. If they download the data now, they will get links to community posts. Starting early March 2019, they will also be able to download the author, body, and photos for every community post in a public community.
- Google+ pages and events will be deleted for both G Suite and consumer users if there is content your users would like to keep, they should download and save it before April 2019. If they would like to keep their Google+ tagline, please have them download and save their Profile data.
- Google+ gadgets in classic Google Sites will no longer work starting March 7 2019, so you and your users may want to remove them. Google+ embeds in the new Google Sites will continue to work.
- If you opted in to the Google Play Services Public Beta Program, they may experience issues using Google apps like Gmail and Hangouts as we begin shutting down consumer Google+. To avoid any interruption in service, G Suite users can leave the Beta Program.
For more information, see this Help Center article, which may be updated periodically by Google.