"It is with great pleasure that I welcome you all to the School of Electronics and Computer Science to help us celebrate the formation of a research-informed school with an emphasis on applied technology. This inaugural reception marks a year since the Harrow School of Computer Science and the School of Informatics at Cavendish were merged and successfully relocated to central London.
The School brings together over 80 full-time academics and 2,000 students in a range of subjects from Microelectronics through Computer Science and Games development to Business Information Systems. We hold professional accreditations from the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and pending ratification in February 2012 the Chartered Institute for IT (BCS). Our research in Grid Computing, Global Navigation Satellite Systems, Health Informatics and Data Modelling is internationally recognised.
Over the past few years, thanks to the dedication and skill of our academic and support staff, we have undertaken considerable redevelopment creating a new range of more industry-focused undergraduate and postgraduate courses suited to modern careers. All our laboratories have been refurbished with state-of-the art equipment and we have shifted focus to permit time for staff to develop links with industry, be more entrepreneurial, and to develop their interests in research and scholarships.
We continue to be committed to supporting a diverse range of students from a variety of backgrounds and look to equip them with the professional skills that will allow them to turn their dreams of working in a fast-paced and highly agile industry into practice. In these challenging times, the latter will increasingly be the norm and our students will be equipped better than most.
Looking ahead to the future, we shall be undertaking a major review of our business facing activities, introducing novel ways to delivery our courses based on technology enhanced learning, and continuing to develop our links both in the UK and internationally.
I look forward to bringing you news of these developments in due course."
Professor Graham Megson
Dean of the School of Electronics and Computer Science
ECS Month events
Please see below for the list of events that form our ECS Month celebrations, within the calendar of events we will welcome a variety of guest speakers from industry and professional bodies as well as welcoming back our alumni to join in the celebrations with current students and staff.
- 8 February: Modelling Health Systems: A Decade of Challenges and Opportunities
- 15 February: The 8th Big Data London Meetup
- 23 February: Presentation by John Spooner, Head of Analytics Practice, SAS UK: The latest developments in business analytics with a focus on the application of analytics in sports
- 27 February: ECS Inaugural Reception
- 6 March: Presentation by the President of the Institution of Engineering and Technology: “Mobile Internet - evolution or revolution”
- 7 March: Postgraduate Information Event
- 8 March: Student Achievement Award and Prize Ceremony
- 14 March: Alumni, Research and Postgraduate Student Reception
- 22 March: End of ECS Month Party
For further information on research within the School of Electronics and Computer Science see:
- Electronic and Communication Engineering cluster
- Operational Research and Intelligent Systems cluster
- Parallel and Distributed Computing cluster
- Semantic Computing and Systems Engineering cluster
For further information on courses within the School of Electronics and Computer Science see: