A great start at university is all about making friends, learning the tricks of the trade, as well as having fun. We're looking for current students who can make this happen for the new undergraduates joining us this September.
What do FANS do?
Our FANS (Friends of Arriving New Students) provide a personal welcome to new students at the University, helping them settle in and acting as their first point of contact for the first couple of weeks.
FANS are a vital part of our Great Start project, which brings together faculties, the Students’ Union and Corporate Services to deliver the best possible induction for new students.
If you become one of our FANS, you'll be:
- looking after a group of new undergraduates during their first week of induction.
- showing students the local area
- taking students on library tours
- showing students round Blackboard
- helping them plan their social life for the first week
- making sure they attend all the relevant school and academic sessions
What are the benefits of being a FAN?
There are many benefits to joining the project - previous FANS have described their experience of working with new students as one of the highlights of their time at university.
As a FAN, you'll get:
- a cash reward on successful completion
- training in key transferable skills/a 2-day training course, complete with overnight stay (dates TBC)
- valuable volunteering experience
- teamwork and leadership skills
- free access to some Students' Union events
- fast-track access onto the Student Ambassador Scheme
You'll also get to have a lot of fun!
Sign up to become a FAN
Applications to become a FAN close on 20 April 2014.
Note that to become a FAN, you'll need to be studying at the University in September 2014.
Want more information?
Have a look at the Students' Union's Smoke Media YouTube channel, which has various videos on the Great Start.
If you have any other questions, get in touch with Nima Takodra, our Great Start Project Manager, at [email protected]