To mark the twentieth anniversary of NATO's intervention in Kosovo this roundtable will assess the impact of "Operation Allied Force" on the practice of, and academics debates on, humanitarian intervention.
Themes to be discussed include;
- the rationale behind the intervention
- the impact of the intervention on Kosovo/Serbia
- the effect of the intervention on the UN/international law
- the legacy of the intervention, particularly the emergence of the Responsibility to Protect
- the status of humanitarian intervention today.
How to book
- David Clark, Special Adviser to UK Foreign Secretary Robin Cook from 1997-2001
- Dr Kate Ferguson, Founding Director "Protection Approaches" and Chair of Policy at the European Centre for R2P
- Dr Spyros Economides, Associate Professor in International Relations and European Politics at the London School of Economics and Deputy Director of the Hellenic Observatory
- Professor David Chandler, Professor of International Relations at the University of Westminster, and founding editor of the Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding
The event will be chaired by Dr Aidan Hehir, University of Westminster.