Boost your CV and become more attractive to potential employers! Complete the Westminster Employability Award.
What is the Westminster Employability Award?
Supported by Santander Universities UK, the Westminster Employability Award is an employability achievement award supporting your career development and formally recognising the extra-curricular activities you complete during your time at the University of Westminster.
It is designed to help you gain experience and develop key skills that employers want you to have. Find out more about yourself, explore different options, gain more experience and get job-ready by completing the Award.
Why you should get involved
Nowadays, employers want much more than just graduates with a degree. They value individuals who have invested in their personal and professional development and have gained skills through various activities.
You will get recognition for the extra-curricular activities you do on and off campus and will be able to identify and evidence the skills you have developed to potential employers.
Upon successful completion of the Award, you will:
- Receive a certificate for achieving a Bronze, Silver or Gold Award
- Add something different to your CV and stand out from the crowd
- Attend the Vice Chancellor’s Employability Awards celebration event
- Get a chance to win one of the 36 financial rewards for highest achievers from each of the 12 Schools:
- 12 x £400 for the top scorer from each School (overall)
- 12 x £100 for the top scorer from each School (1st year undergraduate students only)
- 12 x £100 for the top scorer from each School (postgraduate students only)
How it works
The Award consists of a selection of pre-mapped core and optional activities across 4 stages. You can complete the activities in your own time and you can start at any stage, based on your current situation. If you haven’t done any career preparation so far, we recommend you start with the "Know Yourself" stage.
Core activities – these are mandatory and therefore must be completed to qualify for the Award.
Activities include: skills audit, attending events on campus, an appointment with a careers consultant, CV and interview preparation and reflective exercises
Optional activities – these are the activities that give you points and you can complete as many as you wish. You can gain 10-30 points for completing a mixture of online tasks and real-world experience.
- a personality report
- joining the mentoring scheme
- gaining experience through a part-time job
- placement, internship and insight days and completing tasks to prepare you for your next job and much more.
Complete the core activities and collect enough points from optional activities to qualify for the Bronze, Silver or Gold Employability Award. To achieve this, you need 50 points for Bronze, 100 points for Silver or 150 points for Gold.
How to sign-up
- Go to Engage and register to participate in the Award
- Start completing activities and collect points towards the Award
Any previous eligible activities will be backdated to September 2016, so if you have already attended appointments and events, you would have gained points towards the Award. Log in now to see how many points you might have already collected.
When to complete the Award
You can complete the Award during your time at the University of Westminster. There is no sign-up deadline and you have until 1 May of your graduating year to complete the Award.