The NSS survey questions
These are the areas you will be asked to feedback on in the National Students Survey for 2017, some of the questions are new and revised.
The teaching on my course
1. Staff are good at explaining things
2. Staff have made the subject interesting
3. The course is intellectually stimulating
4. My course has challenged me to achieve my best work
5. My course has provided me with opportunities to explore ideas or concepts in depth
6. My course has provided me with opportunities to bring information and ideas together from different topics
7. My course has provided me with opportunities to apply what I have learnt
Assessment and feedback
8. The criteria used in marking have been clear in advance
9. Marking and assessment has been fair
10. Feedback on my work has been timely
11. I have received helpful comments on my work
12. I have been able to contact staff when I needed to
13. I have received sufficient advice and guidance in relation to my course
14. Good advice was available when I needed to make study choices on my course
Organisation and management
15. The course is well organised and running smoothly
16. The timetable works efficiently for me
17. Any changes in the course or teaching have been communicated effectively
18. The IT resources and facilities provided have supported my learning well
19. The library resources (e.g. books, online services and learning spaces) have supported my learning well
20. I have been able to access course-specific resources (e.g. equipment, facilities, software, collections) when I needed to
21. I feel part of a community of staff and students
22. I have had the right opportunities to work with other students as part of my course
23. I have had the right opportunities to provide feedback on my course
24. Staff value students’ views and opinions about the course
25. It is clear how students’ feedback on the course has been acted on
26. The students’ union (association or guild) effectively represents students’ academic interests
27. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course
28.Looking back on the experience, are there any particularly positive or negative aspects you would like to highlight?
Course Content and Structure
1. All of the compulsory modules are relevant to my course.
2. There is an appropriate range of options to choose from on my course.
3. The modules of my course form a coherent integrated whole.
1. Teaching staff test what I have understood rather than what I have memorised.
2. Assessment methods employed in my course require an in-depth understanding of the course content.