For parents and guardians

It’s to be expected that you want to be involved in your son or daughter’s decisions about university. And you’ll probably have concerns about their welfare while studying away from home. The University of Westminster has a variety of ways to support students, parents and carers at every point in their journey, from initial applications and help with fees and funding, to making the most of their time here.


Choosing where to live is a big decision. To help you and your son or daughter make the decision, here’s a quick look at the options available and the University of Westminster services that are here to help.

The Student Accommodation Team

For advice, information and support, contact the Student Accommodation Team. They provide a comprehensive service for full-time students and offer guidance on finding somewhere to live in London.

They are responsible for allocating rooms in halls of residence and can help with the application process. The team also hold lists of landlords with rooms available for students if they choose to rent privately.

Whether your son or daughter lives at home or moves away will depend on convenience, course choice and financial circumstances. Choosing to live at home helps to keep accommodation costs down and avoids the upheaval of moving to a new town or city. However, it often means more time travelling to and from university, increased travel costs and it can make it harder to meet fellow students. Students living away from home benefit from being closer to campus and living independently with other students. It increases personal responsibility but can be more expensive.

Halls of residence

The University of Westminster has several halls of residence and there are rooms to suit all budgets, including ensuites. 

Private renting

Like most people who live and work in London, the majority of students studying in central London commute from Zones two or three – a journey of around 30-40 minutes. Rents vary greatly depending on area – guidance can be found on our Living costs page. The Student Accommodation Team provide regularly updated lists of private landlords.


The cost of studying in London can be a major factor for concern. Parents, carers and students may feel confused about how much university will cost and what funding will be available.

Student Advice

Our Student Advice team are on hand to help you work out what funding your daughter or son is entitled to.

The Student Advisers can help with bank accounts, funding applications, tuition fees, budgeting and debt advice. They are also an on-going source of support during your child’s studies.

Practical advice on money management is also available from our Financial Capability Adviser.


All students have to pay tuition fees, but the amount will vary depending on the course and whether your son or daughter is a Home, EU or international student.


There are a variety of funding options and we also offer scholarships to eligible students.​


When your son or daughter leaves for university, you’re bound to worry about their welfare. That’s why the University of Westminster ensures that there’s a strong support network available to every student, whether it’s academic guidance, practical assistance, or a helping hand adjusting to their new life as a student.

Health Services

From finding a GP, optician or dentist, or someone to contact in an emergency, the University of Westminster’s Health Services can help to take care of your son or daughter’s physical wellbeing while studying. We also run our own nurse service, providing treatment and advice during term time.

Visit our Health Services page for details


We offer a free counselling service to students who are experiencing difficulties.

Our team of professionally trained British Association for Counselling accredited counsellors have many years of experience in education and are happy to talk about any issue affecting your child.

Visit our Counselling service page for details

Faith and Spirituality

The University of Westminster welcomes students from all religions and beliefs. We have Faith Advisers from the Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Sikh traditions and links to the Catholic, Hindu and other communities. Faith Advisers offer pastoral care and spiritual guidance and can advise on faith-based societies’ events, activities, discussion groups and worshipping in London.

Visit our Faith and Spirituality page for details

Disability Learning Support

We provide in-depth guidance and a range of services for students with disabilities. From access to buildings and help with living arrangements, to academic support and mental health mentoring, we aim to help your son or daughter feel comfortable and confident during their time with us.

Visit our Disability Learning Support page for details

International students

If you are the parent or carer of an international student, you may feel anxious about your son or daughter moving to a new country.

We welcome students from over 140 countries around the world and understand the difficulties, cultural challenges and practicalities of moving to a new country.

Our Student Advice team includes an International Student Adviser who provides guidance and support to help overseas students settle in. An airport meet-and-greet service is available for arriving overseas students, and a welcome programme is also organised.

Visit our International student advice pages for more details

Frequently asked questions

Is London safe?

Like any major European city, it is important to be vigilant about safety at all times. Our students experience few problems if they take sensible precautions to protect their personal safety and property.

The University of Westminster can offer advice and guidance to students on ways to stay safe in the capital, and our halls of residence feature CCTV coverage for added security.

What if my son or daughter doesn’t get into halls of residence?

The Student Accommodation team offers free housing advice and can help you find private rented accommodation in London. They hold lists of landlords and are on hand with guidance on tenancy agreements, rents and living costs.

How much money do students spend a week?

Your son or daughter’s weekly spend will vary greatly depending on the the type and location of their accommodation, and their travel costs. Additionally, some courses, such as Fashion, will require a greater expenditure on equipment.

Visit our Living costs page for details on how much the average student spends.

Will my son or daughter be able to work part-time?

The majority of our students choose to work part-time to help fund their studies. Working is also an excellent way to boost independence and improve a student’s employability after graduation. There is a plentiful supply of interesting and CV-enhancing jobs to be found in London, and our annual careers fair is a good place to start the search.

Will my son or daughter find a job after graduation?

Recent research from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey shows that eight out of ten University of Westminster graduates find employment or go on to further study after graduation. Of this number, seven out of ten are employed in managerial or professional roles. For self-employed graduates, the figure rises to nine out of ten, with many of these working in the creative industries.

Single room at Raffles House

Student accommodation

Have a look at our halls of residence.

book with flipping pages

Contact us

Contact course enquiries for more information about any of our courses offered at the University of Westminster.