Student Complaints

Download our Student Complaints Procedure for FCA regulated activities (PDF). This procedure applies only to these specific areas:

  • Debt Advice and;
  • Instalment Credit arrangements 

What is a student complaint?

The University works hard to provide a high quality service to you at all times and in all areas and activities. However, if you ever feel that the standard of academic or service delivery falls short of what may reasonably be expected, you should refer to the Student Complaints Procedure to find out how best to raise and resolve issues.

Complaints are dealt with without recrimination. This means that if you make a complaint in good faith and in accordance with this procedure, you will not suffer any disadvantage or reproach and your studies while at the University will not be prejudiced as the result of making a complaint. 

The complaints procedure should not be used to:

  • request a new or different service or provision
  • express complaints about individuals or organisations with which the University does not have a contractual relationship. 

If you would like to request a new or different service or provision, please contact the appropriate departmental manager.

If you have a complaint about the Students' Union or the services it provides, please raise the issue with the Chief Executive of the Students' Union.

Please note: The Student Complaints Procedure is intended for the use of current, fully enrolled students at the University of Westminster. Prospective students and applicants should not use this complaints procedure.

It is important to note that the University distinguishes between complaints and academic appeals: 
Complaint is defined as any expression of dissatisfaction with the standard of service provided by the University, or with the actions or lack of actions by the University or members of staff. Any complaint against a named member of staff will be addressed as a complaint against the University. Grounds for complaint might include:

  • Dissatisfaction with the standard of academic or service provision (e.g. course design, curriculum content and structure, assessment arrangements and information, resources and facilities, halls of residence) 
  • Dissatisfaction with the quality of supervision or tuition
  • Issues of inappropriate conduct by a member of staff
  • Failure, on the part of the University, to meet stated obligations (e.g. those set out in the prospectus or on the website). 

Note: This student complaints procedure may not be used to challenge academic judgement concerning performance and progress, or to appeal against the decision of an assessment board.

Academic appeal is defined as a request for a review of a decision of an assessment board on student progress, assessment and awards. This includes challenges to the outcomes of the mitigating circumstances process. 

How can I make complaint?

There are a number of ways to make your concerns heard, and most problems can be resolved early on and informally with the relevant parties. Bear in mind that whatever your concern or complaint, it is important that you raise it promptly, so that it can be addressed and an appropriate solution found as soon as possible.
There are many opportunities to feedback comments or concerns about your studies or wellbeing to teaching staff, course committees, the Students’ Union and Corporate Services teams. However if you have a particular complaint you should, in the first instance, raise this informally with an appropriate member of staff.
If the issue or problem cannot be resolved informally in this way, you will need to move to the next, formal stage of the complaints procedure – Stage 2.
You are strongly advised to seek guidance from the Students' Union before you submit your stage 2 formal complaint.
You will need to complete and submit the stage 2 formal complaint form to the student complaints team no later than 90 days after the incident has happened.  An extension of these time limits will only be possible in exceptional circumstances. If your complaint has been made outside of these time limits please detail below the reason for this and provide evidence where available.
The stage 2 complaint form can be submitted via email to [email protected] or you can submit it in person, the address is below:
Student Complaints Team
Quality and Standards Office
Academic Registrar's Department
University of Westminster
Cavendish House
101 New Cavendish Street
London W1W 6XH
The student complaints team will forward your complaint to the appropriate investigating officer, normally within 10 working days of receipt of the completed form. 
The investigating officer will endeavour to conclude the investigation and notify you of the outcome within 25 working days of receipt of the complaint from the student complaints team. In more complex cases, or during periods such as University vacations when parties to the complaint may not be available, this timescale may not be achievable. In such cases, you will be notified of any delay. 
If you have any questions regarding the student complaint procedure you can contact the student complaints team via email [email protected] or via telephone 0207 911 5000 extension 66096 or 65733.

Important: When pursuing a complaint, it is important that you are aware of the University's related Unacceptable Behaviour Policy.

University Regulations, Policies & Procedures

Check the academic regulations for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Letters in a card index

Contacts directory

Find a phone number or email address.