Interrupting or withdrawing FAQ

Home (UK) students only: Under the terms of the Distance Selling Regulations you have a right of cancellation of up to 14 days from the date of your enrolment (which is the date you enrol in person at the University). Subject to the date of receipt of formal written notification of withdrawal by the appropriate faculty registry within this time frame, there will be no tuition fee liability and any fees paid will be refunded.

I'm in the UK on a Tier 4 visa - what happens if I interrupt or withdraw?

If you are in the UK on a Tier 4 Student Visa, the University is required to notify the Home Office if you interrupt or withdraw.

If you are no longer attending a course, you will not be meeting the terms of your student visa and the Home Office will therefore normally shorten your visa and expect you to leave the UK.

Before interrupting or withdrawing, speak to our Student Advisers for guidance.

What will happen to my SFE student funding if I withdraw from a course or interrupt my studies?

Interrupting or withdrawing can affect your Student Finance England (SFE) funding and entitlement in many ways so it’s vital you talk with our Student Advisers before making a decision.

If you withdraw or interrupt partway through the academic year, SFE will re-assess your funding entitlement for the year and you may be asked to repay some of the Maintenance Loan and Grants you have received.

If you withdraw, SFE will usually stop any future instalments of loans and grants as you cease to be a student. Your attendance on this course or any previous degree level course will also reduce your entitlement to receive a Tuition Fee loan and Maintenance/Special Support grant for a future degree level course even if you only attended for one day and even if you did not apply for or receive any SFE funding.

If you interrupt at the end of the academic year, SFE usually stop any future instalments of loans and grants until you resume your study and start attending your course. If you interrupt partway through a year because of health reasons SFE can allow funding to continue for a further 60 days after the date you interrupt. If you interrupt during the academic year because of other reasons, they also have the discretion to allow funding to continue if loss of funding will cause financial hardship.

Your funding entitlement can also be affected if you have to repeat a year (or part of the year).

Get in touch with our Student Advisers for more detailed information and advice about the effect on your funding and the options available to you. You can also download our guide to interrupting or withdrawing and SFE funding (PDF).

Students who started before 2012/13 and receive SFE funding

If you withdraw from your course and intend to start studying again in the future, you will be assessed under the new student funding rules. You will be liable to pay the higher tuition fees introduced in 2012/13.

If you interrupt for one year and resume your studies, you should remain eligible for the pre-2012/13 tuition fees and for the pre-2012/13 student funding. However, if you change your mode of attendance from part-time to full-time (or vice-versa), your eligibility may change.

Get in touch with our Student Advisers to discuss your situation.

Will my tuition fees be affected by withdrawing or interrupting?

The amount of tuition fee you will need to pay depends on the date that you interrupt/withdraw and submit your interruption or withdrawal form.

Depending on your interruption/withdrawal date, you may become personally liable to pay the University some or all of your fees.

The deadlines are given on our interrupting or withdrawing from studies webpage as well as in the guidance notes provided with the forms.

If you are unsure about the implications of withdrawing/interrupting, get in touch with our Student Advisers.

I haven't been able to submit coursework or attend some exams due to illness - what should I do?

The University's mitigating circumstances process is there to ensure that students are not disadvantaged in their studies by serious, unforeseen and unpreventable circumstances.

Read through our mitigating circumstances guidance and, if applicable to you, complete the Mitigating Circumstances Claim Form.

I have an ongoing health issue/disability/Specific Learning Difficulty that's affecting my studies - what should I do?

If you haven't already done so, register with our Disability Learning Support team and find out whether you are entitled to any Individual Assessment Arrangements.

Individual assessment and exam arrangements are there to help compensate for the difficulties that students with particular disabilities face, but they are not automatic - you must apply for them through Disability Learning Support.

If you receive SFE funding and you interrupt, withdraw or end up repeating a year because of health issues, you should also contact our Student Advisers to discuss the effect on your funding.