Different types of recycling bin

What can I recycle?

  • Newspapers, printing paper, magazines, junk mail, window envelopes and telephone directories
  • Plastic bottles without lids
  • Mixed glass, bottles and jars
  • Washed Food tins and drink without lids
  • Plastic bags
  • Tetra Pak cartons
  • Flattened cardboard
  • Washed cans and tins without lids
  • Tinfoil
  • Batteries, printer cartridges and stamps (at reception only)

You cannot recycle: food waste, crisps and snack packets, clothes, broken glass, pyrex glassware, light bulbs, containers and yoghurt pots The polythene (plastic) window from sandwich boxes needs to be removed. The card can then be recycled and the plastic placed in the general waste bins. This also applies to the envelope ‘windows’.

What recycling goes in which bin?

  • All recyclable items go into the mixed recycling bins with a green lid
  • All non-recyclable items go into general waste bin with a grey lid
  • Drop off old batteries, printer cartridges and stamps at campus receptions

Where can I recycle?

Recycling stations are easily accessible throughout the University.

It's all about quality

Did you know that the quality of recycling is very important? If recycling bins get contaminated with waste their entire contents end up in landfill. You can avoid contamination by taking the following steps:

  • Removing lids and plastic caps; these types of plastic cannot be recycled yet.
  • Making sure cans and bottles are empty and there are no food leftovers (eg cheese in pizza boxes). Liquid and food will contaminate the bin.
  • Choosing the correct bin. Check the guidelines and symbols to know what goes where.

To suggest places for new recycling bins or request more information on the University’s recycling programme please email [email protected]

Change for Good blog

Sustainability is at the heart of all we do.