What is Green Impact?
Green Impact is an environmental accreditation and awards scheme run by the National Union of Students. It brings together staff and students to green campuses, curriculums and communities across the country. From recycling to investing in more efficient equipment and encouraging biodiversity or fair trade, teams of staff and students complete clear and straightforward actions. In 2013–14, 28 University of Westminster Green Impact teams completed 1,200 actions, 800 as a direct result of the scheme. The project has also been a major driver for the online prospectus and double-sided printing.
Take a look at this video of Green Impact projects this year:
How does Green Impact work?
You make simple, tangible and powerful changes in behaviour and policy through an online workbook of criteria. There are levels of criteria (Bronze, Silver, Gold) depending on how ambitious you feel. Teams may be composed of members from a department, team or area of a building.
Will it take up a lot of time?
No. You can complete as little as one or two actions in the programme and you’ll still qualify for a 'working towards bronze' certificate. Your team can also be assigned a team of Green Impact Project Assistants (GIPAs), which is an excellent experience and a great help in completing actions.
Why should I get involved?
- Improve your experience at university
- It’s free, fun and helps you to save resources and money
- You’ll receive an award showing how green your department is
- Be part of a nationwide scheme greening universities and colleges
- You'll get the opportunity to learn about environmental issues
- Get recognition for all the actions you’re doing already
- Enjoy the end-of-year award ceremony
How can I get support?
Contact [email protected] for advice from the Sustainability Team and Green Impact project co-ordinator.
How do I get involved?
- Register your team name and contact details on the Green Impact website
- Encourage other students and members of staff to join your team
- Start going through the online workbook