Talent Bank Case Study - Mustafa Mahmoud
Name: Mustafa Mahmoud
Course: Computer Science
School: School of Science and Technology
Year of graduation: 2014
1. How did the Talent Bank help you?
It made me gain first hand experience within the field I wanted to get into, the rest is history.
2. Would you recommend the Talent Bank to your friends in the University?
I constantly tell friends and whoever asks me on how to get experience while they’re studying, I always tell them about the Talent Bank and the opportunities it offers. Most of the people I recommended the Talent Bank to have applied and found it very useful.
3. Briefly describe the experience you gained in the role(s).
I got a recipient job for the Halls of Residence over the summer period but rejected it due to personal reasons. I helped out the HSW team on Wellbeing Day which I got through the Talent Bank. But the role that started my career was the IT Student Helper role. I was one of the successful candidates to take the job, and it was a 10-month contract.
4. What is different about the Talent Bank compared to other recruitment agencies?
A variety of opportunities are presented to you while you’re studying. It’s aimed at full-time students which means it doesn’t affect the student’s education while working. There are a lot of roles which can be one day, one week, 6 weeks or even more. My 10-month contract led onto a 3-month full time contract after my graduation. From all of those experiences I managed to get a permanent, full time job.
5. Do you have an example of how the Talent Bank has made an impact on your employment opportunities since graduating?
I only spent seven weeks off before getting a permanent job. Without the experience gained, I would have probably been looking for a job still.