Help our new 2018 undergraduate students
31 January 2018
A great start at university is all about making friends, learning the tricks of the trade, as well as having fun. We're looking for current students who can make this happen during induction week for the new undergraduates joining us this September.
What do FANS do?
Our FANS (Friends of Arriving New Students) provide a personal welcome to new students at the University, helping them settle in and acting as their first point of contact for the first couple of weeks.
FANS are a vital part of our Great Start project, this is a collaborative project between Student Affairs and the Students’ Union which brings together University faculties, the Students’ Union and Corporate Services to deliver the best possible induction for new students.
If you become one of our FANS, you'll be:
- looking after a group of new undergraduates during their first week of induction.
- showing students the local area and parts of London
- taking students on campus & library tours
- showing students around Blackboard
- helping them plan their social life for the first week
- making sure they attend all the relevant school and academic sessions
What are the benefits of being a FAN?
There are many benefits to joining the project - previous FANS have described their experience of working with new students as one of the highlights of their time at university.
As a FAN, you'll get:
- a cash reward on successful completion
- 2 days training in key transferable skills
- training taking place in lovely hotel setting complete with an overnight stay
- valuable volunteering experience
- teamwork and leadership skills
- Recognised for your HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Record)
- networking opportunities and making friendships
You'll also get to have a lot of fun!
Sign up to become a FAN
Note that to become a FAN, you'll need to be studying at the University in September 2018, the role will require full dedication
Want more information?
Have a look at the Students' Union's Smoke Media YouTube channel, which has various videos on the Great Start.
If you have any other questions, get in touch with Nima Takodra, our Great Start Project Manager, at [email protected].
About the University of Westminster:
The University of Westminster boasts a vibrant learning environment attracting more than 20,000 students from over 150 nations and we continue to invest in our future with new developments, research projects and new ideas.
We offer highly attractive practice-based courses that are independently rated as excellent, many with international recognition. Our distinguished 180-year history has meant we lead the way in many areas of research, particularly politics, media, art and design, architecture and biomedical sciences, and our position in the city of London allows us to continue to build on our close connections with leading figures and organisations in these areas as well as in the worlds of business, information technology, politics and law.
Our commitment to educating graduates for the needs of professional life attracts high quality students from within the UK and around the globe.
Internationalisation, employability and sustainability are key elements in the University of Westminster’s vision for the future and we strive to ensure the very highest standards are met and maintained.