Types of opportunities and destinations

earth globe north hemisphere

Each year the University offers a variety of overseas opportunities to students. If you are interested in any of the opportunities below, you will need to discuss whether you are eligible to work or study abroad and devise a programme of study with your Academic Exchange Coordinator.

Most exchange partnerships are compatible with Undergraduate study,  and some degrees allow work placements too. For Postgraduate study you will need to speak to your Academic Exchange Coordinator to discuss your options.

Exchanges & Work Placements


Depending on your faculty and degree programme, you will be able to study abroad at a partner insitution for either a semester or year. We have international exchange agreements with a range of universities worldwide, in countries such as the USA, China, Canada, France, Spain and Australia.

If you secure a place at a partner insitution in Europe, then you may be eligible for funding under the Erasmus+ programme. The Erasmus+ Programme allows students who are spending either a semester or year abroad at a partner university in Europe, or semester or year working within an organisation in Europe to receive funding from the European Commission.

Find out more about Year Long & Semester Exchanges

Work placements

If your degree allows you to, you may be able to take part in a work placement overseas for credit as part of your degree. 

Find out more about work placements 

Short–term opportunities

Short-term mobility refers to a short period of experience abroad, not necessarily part of your degree, which can benefit you academically and can add value to your curriculum. It can be an internship, volunteering or summer school which last between 3 days and 3 months.


A short-term supervised period of employment overseas.

Find out more about internships


A short-term visit to another country to undertake voluntary work to help the environment or local community.

Find out more about volunteering opportunities

Summer schools

A short-term study programme during a holiday period based at an overseas university, involving taught classes, assessment and cultural activities.

Find out more about summer schools

Faculty-led trips

A short visit to another country as part of an accredited module, arranged by the faculty.

Find out more about faculty-led trips

Student-led trips

Short-term overseas opportunity independently organised by student societies, sports clubs or students from a course or module related to their area of interest or study.

Find out more about student-led trips

Note: Students on year-long sandwich or placement year (four-year degree programme). A sandwich year is a year of study abroad, work placement or exchange that is a formally recognised part of a student's programme of study.  For information on overseas work placement as a part of sandwich year, please contact the Career Development Centre.

How to apply

Find out how to apply and next steps to take for your experience abroad.

A hand stacking coins

Funding your experience

Find out about grants, scholarships and other means of funding your exchange.