Information for our authors and open access guidance
WestminsterResearch at the University of Westminster makes the research output of the University available to a wider audience. This institutional repository aims to capture the intellectual output of the University and is a resource containing details of all research and scholarly output.
The University supports the principle of making publicly funded and peer-reviewed research available via open access.
It is a requirement that all eligible publications or outputs for which open access is appropriate are made available in this way via either green or gold routes.
The flowchart below shows the research submission process.
1. For general information on open access please refer to the WestminsterResearch help pages.
2. The University has a preference for Gold/Green access with Green being the default.
- Check your funder’s policy on SHERPA JULIET or, SHERPA/RoMEO to check individual journal titles.
- Check the University dissemination policy (academic members of staff are required to deposit the final author-formatted versions of all articles and conference papers they produce).
- Contact your Academic Liaison Librarian for further help if you are still unsure.
3. Check your funder’s policy for a preference.
- You may be able to apply for funds if in receipt of Wellcome Trust grants, or within your grant application from other funders.
- RCUK provides a block grant to the University for these purposes.
- Subject to selection criteria, there is also a central University budget you may apply for.
- Individual Faculties may also have made advanced purchases of Gold access ‘tickets’.
Author processing charges will only be allocated once the paper is accepted for publication. See our Open Access policy (UoW staff log-in required).
4. Check that the journal is compliant with use of OA license, eg CC_YY_BB for augmenting papers with metadata etc. See the FAQ page for more details.
5. Check that embargo periods are compliant with funder.
6. WestminsterResearch Repository staff will add the article in accordance with publisher policies. If using the Green route, please include a final author formatted copy.
Do I have to provide Open Access to my research publications?
Open Access to publications arising from research grants is mandated by some funders, eg Wellcome Trust and RCUK. The EU and Higher Education Funding Councils are also moving in this direction.
To be eligible for submission to the post-2014 REF, authors’ final peer-reviewed manuscripts of journal articles and conference papers must have been deposited in an institutional or subject repository on acceptance for publication from 1 April 2016. Researchers are strongly urged to publish in compliance with this as soon as possible. More information is available on the Higher Education Funding Council's website.
The University’s Policy on Dissemination of Research and Scholarly Output supports the principle of making publicly funded and peer‐reviewed research available via open access. To support this principle the University operates a repository (WestminsterResearch) for ‘Green’ access papers and supports ‘Gold’ where funding permits. It is a requirement that all eligible publications or outputs for which open access is appropriate are made available for open access via either Green or Gold routes.
How do I access the publication fund?
If you have decided to publish in a journal which requires article processing charge (APC) funds to make your article open access, you should apply to the University for funding by filling out an application form (UoW staff log-in required).