University email phishing scam
10 June 2016
The Student Loans Company have asked us to alert students to a new 'phishing' scam targeted at University students. If you receive an email which appears to be from the University finance office, or from the Student Loans Company, and which takes you to a link asking you to provide personal information, please be very cautious.
The link directs you to a fake online form which is pretending to be from the University of Westminster. If you have entered any personal details in the fake online form, you should contact any organisation that holds the information you shared, such as your bank if you entered your bank details, or the HM Revenue & Customs if you entered your NINO (National Insurance number). You can also make a report to actionfraud.police.uk.
- Do not click on any links or open attachments contained within unsolicited emails
- Do not reply to scam emails or contact the senders in any way
- If an email appears to have come from a person or organisation you know of but the message is unexpected or unusual, contact them directly via another method to confirm that they sent you the email
- If you receive an email which asks you to login to an online account via a link provided in the email, instead of clicking on the link, open your browser and go directly to the company’s website yourself
- If you have clicked on a link in the email, do not supply any information on the website that may open
- If you think you may have compromised the safety of your bank details and/or have lost money due to fraudulent misuse of your cards, you should immediately contact your bank, and report it to Action Fraud
- emails suspected to be fraudulent can also be forwarded to [email protected]
You can also contact the Student Loans Company Counter Fraud Services team:
- Email: [email protected]
- Tel: 0141 243 3336
For more information please visit the Action Fraud website.
About the University of Westminster:
The University of Westminster boasts a vibrant learning environment attracting more than 20,000 students from over 150 nations and we continue to invest in our future with new developments, research projects and new ideas.
We offer highly attractive practice-based courses that are independently rated as excellent, many with international recognition. Our distinguished 175-year history has meant we lead the way in many areas of research, particularly politics, media, art and design, architecture and biomedical sciences, and our position in the city of London allows us to continue to build on our close connections with leading figures and organisations in these areas as well as in the worlds of business, information technology, politics and law.
Our commitment to educating graduates for the needs of professional life attracts high quality students from within the UK and around the globe.
Internationalisation, employability and sustainability are key elements in the University of Westminster’s vision for the future and we strive to ensure the very highest standards are met and maintained.