Westminster co-hosts sustainability workshop at Tsinghua University in China
20 April 2015
The Westminster delegation held the event, entitled Interpreting Sustainability, in partnership with representatives from the School of Architecture at Tsinghua University in a move to facilitate strong international research collaboration between the two institutions.
Chaired by the Editor-in-chief and Deputy Editor-in-chief of World Architecture, Professor Zhang Li and Associate Professor Zhou Rong respectively, the interactive workshop explored the themes of Design Intervention and Shaping Cities through Urban Design. The workshop was attended by Tsinghua University staff and students.
While visiting China, the seven-strong Westminster team held an additional joint workshop at Tsinghua University entitled Design Education and Pedagogic Curriculum. They also visited Peking University, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture (BUCEA), The Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA), Tongji University and Donghua University, strengthening Westminster’s ties with the Chinese higher education institutions.
The University of Westminster research delegation to China included:
- Professor David Dernie, Dean of Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment
- Dr Nancy Stevenson, International Director of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment and Principal Lecturer in Tourism
- Professor Nicholas Bailey, Faculty Research Director for Architecture and the Built Environment and Professor of Urban Regeneration
- Professor Harry Charrington, Head of Department of Architecture
- Professor Johan Woltjer, Head of Department of Planning and Transport
- Dr Ben Shaw, Principal Research Fellow in the Policy Studies Institute at the University of Westminster
- Professor Peter Sharratt, Visiting Professor and Director of Sustainable Business Partnership.
Scientific collaborators from Tsinghua University included:
- Associate Professor Liu Jian, Associate Dean
- Professor Xu Weiguo, Head of Department of Architecture
- Professor Song Yehao, Professor of Building Science
- Professor Zhang Jie, Professor of Urban Planning
- Associate Professor Tang Yan, Associate Professor of Urban Planning
- Associate Professor Wu Dongfan, Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture.
Internationalisation is key to the University’s strategic vision and identity. We have extensive connections with universities and industries throughout the world and our Global Engagement Strategy seeks to strengthen and deepen those connections even further. Our international partnerships and teaching support the development of our academic and research portfolios. Experiences that enable our staff and students to operate in an increasingly interconnected, internationalised world are key to our approach.
About the University of Westminster:
The University of Westminster boasts a vibrant learning environment attracting more than 20,000 students from over 150 nations and we continue to invest in our future with new developments, research projects and new ideas.
We offer highly attractive practice-based courses that are independently rated as excellent, many with international recognition. Our distinguished 180-year history has meant we lead the way in many areas of research, particularly politics, media, art and design, architecture and biomedical sciences, and our position in the city of London allows us to continue to build on our close connections with leading figures and organisations in these areas as well as in the worlds of business, information technology, politics and law.
Our commitment to educating graduates for the needs of professional life attracts high quality students from within the UK and around the globe.
Internationalisation, employability and sustainability are key elements in the University of Westminster’s vision for the future and we strive to ensure the very highest standards are met and maintained.