Become a Friend of Arriving New Students (FANS)
2 March 2015
A great start at university is all about making friends, learning the tricks of the trade, as well as having fun. We're looking for current students who can make this happen for the new undergraduates joining us this September.
What do FANS do?
Our Friends of Arriving New Students (FANS) provide a personal welcome to new students at the University, helping them settle in and acting as their point of contact for the first couple of weeks.
If you become one of our FANS, you'll be:
- looking after a group of new undergraduates during their first week of induction
- showing students the local area
- taking students on library tours
- showing students round Blackboard
- helping them plan their social life for the first week
- making sure they attend all the relevant school and academic sessions
What are the benefits of being a FANS?
There are many benefits to joining the project – previous FANS have described their experience of working with new students as one of the highlights of their time at university.
As a FANS, you'll get:
- a cash reward on successful completion
- training in key transferable skills
- a two-day training course, complete with overnight stay (dates TBC)
- valuable volunteering experience
- teamwork and leadership skills
- free access to some Students' Union events
- fast-track access onto the Student Ambassador Scheme
You'll also get to have a lot of fun!
Sign up to become a FANS
To become a FANS, you'll need to be studying at the University in September 2015.
Applications to become a FANS close on Thursday 16 April.
Want more information?
Have a look at the Students' Union's Smoke Media YouTube channel, which has various videos on the Great Start.
If you have any other questions, get in touch with Nima Takodra, our Great Start Project Manager, at [email protected].
About the University of Westminster:
The University of Westminster boasts a vibrant learning environment attracting more than 20,000 students from over 150 nations and we continue to invest in our future with new developments, research projects and new ideas.
We offer highly attractive practice-based courses that are independently rated as excellent, many with international recognition. Our distinguished 180-year history has meant we lead the way in many areas of research, particularly politics, media, art and design, architecture and biomedical sciences, and our position in the city of London allows us to continue to build on our close connections with leading figures and organisations in these areas as well as in the worlds of business, information technology, politics and law.
Our commitment to educating graduates for the needs of professional life attracts high quality students from within the UK and around the globe.
Internationalisation, employability and sustainability are key elements in the University of Westminster’s vision for the future and we strive to ensure the very highest standards are met and maintained.