IDEaS group: recent updates
22 July 2014
Current research areas
Throughout this year, we’ve been building up the capabilities of new researchers in distinct areas, such as:
- entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship pedagogy
- managerial decision-making and strategy development processes, for example in the recorded music industry
- rural innovation and sustainability, in farming communities in Ireland and Malaysia
- design management and the relationship between micro-sized fashion designer businesses and manufacturing
- brand equity
- strategic behaviour in clusters and industrial districts
There are many other areas of activity, all of which are being enhanced by the new members of the group, who are active and enthusiastic researchers. IDEaS also has a number of current PhD students, who are working on topics as diverse as:
- identity construction in second generation family business owners in China
- open innovation in software development companies
- the institutionalisation of corporate social responsibility in Russian energy firms
Finally, recent graduates have examined decision-making in recorded music micro firms and service design innovation.
Regular research seminars have been organised by the group once every three or four weeks. These are forums where research papers are presented, but also sociable occasions where ideas can be shared and discussed.
External speakers are invited on a regular basis. They have included Professor Doug West from King’s College, Professor Kamal Birdi, from Sheffield University, and other guests from the USA and Italy.
About the University of Westminster:
The University of Westminster boasts a vibrant learning environment attracting more than 20,000 students from over 150 nations and we continue to invest in our future with new developments, research projects and new ideas.
We offer highly attractive practice-based courses that are independently rated as excellent, many with international recognition. Our distinguished 175-year history has meant we lead the way in many areas of research, particularly politics, media, art and design, architecture and biomedical sciences, and our position in the city of London allows us to continue to build on our close connections with leading figures and organisations in these areas as well as in the worlds of business, information technology, politics and law.
Our commitment to educating graduates for the needs of professional life attracts high quality students from within the UK and around the globe.
Internationalisation, employability and sustainability are key elements in the University of Westminster’s vision for the future and we strive to ensure the very highest standards are met and maintained.