We will be tailoring our delivery of our short courses in the year ahead, in accordance with government guidance on physical distancing, with the safety, health and wellbeing of our University community at the heart of our decisions. We will be delivering the CILEx courses via online virtual classroom until the end of 2020.
Whatever the way you start your Westminster experience - online, on campus or a blend of these - you can be assured of a warm welcome at our University, where your wellbeing, the quality of our teaching and your learning experience, are our priorities.
CILEx (Chartered Institute of Legal Executives) courses provide an alternative route to becoming a qualified lawyer. Our CILEx courses are taken part-time, so that you can continue to work while studying towards your qualification.
Students who have no previous legal experience or academic qualifications can start their legal education at Level 3 (equivalent to A Level standard), while those who have already completed a law degree or Graduate Diploma in Law are qualified to take the CILEx Level 6 qualifications.
Find out more about CILEx, how to qualify as a legal executive lawyer and career options available to you.
Who is this course for?
The CILEX Level 3 Single Subject Certificate recognises your achievement in a specific area of law or legal practice. The qualification is best suited to you if you do not wish to go on to become a full legal executive and Fellow of CILEx, but do still require recognition in a specific professional area of law and legal practice.
The qualification will, however, also act as an important milestone if you wish to move on to become a legal executive lawyer. You will be awarded a CILEx certificate for each unit of study you have undertaken successfully. Each unit is at A Level standard.
CILEx (not the University of Westminster) may allow certain exemptions for previous studies. Please view the CILEx exemptions table and contact CILEx directly to see what exemptions you may qualify for.
In addition to the tuition fee, you will be required to pay CILEx:
- a registration fee to be assigned the correct membership grade
- an exam fee for each exam or assessment you are sitting
- a fee to buy the mandatory CLS manual for each unit of CILEx study
- a fee for examination re-sits
For full details, please contact CILEx directly on +44 (0)1234 841 000.
Discounts and offers
We offer a 15% discount for organisations or companies registering two or more delegates on any of the CILEx courses. Offers do not accumulate.
How to claim your discount
Email us on [email protected] or call us on +44 (0)20 3506 9900. Please note that you must confirm your eligibility before booking. Discounts cannot be applied retrospectively.
We will provide further information about registering as a member with CILEx when you join the course. Please do not register before starting the course.
We offer the following Level 3 units.
- Introduction to Law and Practice: Mondays 5.30-7.15pm
- Contract Law: Wednesdays 5.30-7.15pm
- Land Law: Wednesdays 7.30-9pm
- Law of Tort: Mondays 7.30-9pm
CILEx 2020–21 entry requirements
In order for your application to be accepted you will need to have one of the following qualifications:
- GCSE - Grade C / 4 or above in English Language
- IGCSE - Grade C / 4 or above in English Language
- IELTS Academic - 6.0 overall with a minimum 6 in Writing
- Cambridge Assessment English - C1 Advanced with a minimum of 169 overall
- Pearson PTE Academic - 4 average with 51 in each component
- TOEFL (IBT) - 78 overall with a minimum 17 in Writing
- TOEIC - Minimum of 780 overall
- European Baccalaureate English - 6 in the European Baccalaureate English component
If you do not have any of the qualifications listed above please provide details of the qualification you wish to submit or contact us via our email: [email protected].
CILEx Open Days
We currently don't have any scheduled open days. New dates are added regularly.
All classes will be delivered via our online virtual classroom until the end of 2020.
Please note: The course booking deadline has been extended until 2 October 2020.
Day and time
Monday and/or Wednesday
Mandatory Induction Evening
- 9 or 11 September 2020
- Term 1: 14 September to 11 December 2020
- Term 2: 4 January to 28 May 2021