Registering with the police

Nationals of certain countries are required to register with the police

You must register with the police if you are from:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen. (This list is correct at the time of writing and may change.)

You do not need to register if you have dual nationality with one of these countries and a country that is not on the list.

If you are required to register with the police, the words ‘The holder is required to register with the police’ or ‘Register/report to the Police’ will be printed either on your visa letter, the visa vignette (sticker in your passport) or on the reverse of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card.

This requirement may appear on any of the three documents mentioned above. You should always check your visa letter, the vignette in your passport and your BRP card. You should also check your dependents' documents.

Not registering with the police is a criminal offence. If you are required to register with the police you have to do this within 7 days of your arrival in the UK or within 7 days of receiving or collecting your new BRP card if you have extended your visa in the UK.

You cannot use a Police Registration Document (PRC) from a previous visit to the UK if you have been absent from the UK for more than 12 months. You must register with the police again and obtain a new PRC and pay the current registration fee.

If you live in London you must visit:

The Overseas Visitors’ Records Office (OVRO), Ground Floor, Brandon House, 323 Borough High Street, London SE1 1JL. The nearest underground station is Borough on the Northern Line.

Opening hours are 9am–4pm Monday to Wednesday and 9am–4pm Friday (closed Thursday).

T: +44 (0)20 7230 1208 for recorded information. For further details see the Metropolitan Police website.

If you live outside of London:

You must register at your local police station instead. Use the “Find your neighbourhood” search tool on the Police.UK site to find a station near to you.

When you register for the first time you will need to:

  • Take evidence that you need to register which is normally the wording included in either your decision letter, your initial one month vignette (sticker in your passport) or your BRP with wording indicating that it is a requirement for you to register *
  • Complete the OVRO Pro-forma (form). You must complete this online and then print the form. OVRO will not accept forms filled in by hand
  • Take your original passport (containing your current or last UK entry clearance visa) and
  • Your BRP card if you have collected it though if your BRP is late arriving at the University and you need to register within 7 days you can register without it
  • Any Home Office letters that you have
  • 1 recent passport photo. This must be pasted/stuck on to the pro-forma (not stapled)

*If you do not have evidence that you have been asked to register then please contact Student Advice to find out what you should do next.

You will need to pay a registration fee of £34.00.

If you do not live in London you will need to register at your local police station. You may be asked to complete a different registration form.

If you register at OVRO we suggest you arrive in the morning because it can get very busy, especially during September and October, and you may have to queue for long periods of time. At busy times, if it is not possible to register you that the day, you will be asked to return to register at a later date and will be given an appointment time.

Once you have your registration certificate:

Keep it safe and keep it up to date. If your document is lost or stolen or damaged you need to apply for a replacement and pay the application fee again.

The following changes need to be reported to OVRO within 7 days and altered on your Police Registration Certificate. Failure to report changes is a breach of your  visa conditions and can result in later problems with UK Immigration so please keep your Certificate up to date:

  • any extension of your visa or changes to your passport details
  • any changes to your BRP
  • any change to your name
  • any change in marital status
  • If you change your address you must report this to your local police station (nearest to where you live), not to OVRO. Take your Police Registration Certificate and evidence of your address so that they can update your PRC

You also need to fill in the Migrant Change of Circumstances Form to report all of these changes, except an extension of your visa, to the Home Office.

For more details please see the website's notification of change of circumstances form.

Note: If you need to extend your visa in the UK you are required to provide an up-to-date Police Registration Certificate with your visa application. Not keeping your details up-to-date can affect the decision on your visa application and can result in your visa being refused or curtailed.

Useful websites