International Study Abroad entry requirements

Study Abroad Programme entry requirements for International Students (undergraduate)

If you are studying your first degree and wish to study for one semester or full year the entrance requirements are:

  • You must have successfully completed 1 year of a degree programme at a recognised university or college
  • You must be 18 years of age or older when you begin the programme
  • If you are student from a country using the GPA system you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. If you wish to study at the School of Media, Arts and Design you require a cumulative 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
  • If you are from a country with a different grading system, you must have an average of C grade or good or equivalent. If you wish to study at the School of Media, Arts and Design you must be have an average grade of B grade or very good or equivalent
  • You must be in good academic standing

Undergraduate English language requirements

If English is not your first language, you will need to provide official proof of your English language ability. Proof of English must be in the form of a recent IELTS, Pearson, TOEFL or Cambridge English Language Examination score.

The University of Westminster in addition requires that you have an overall score of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent if you are an undergraduate study abroad student, except for Westminster School of Media, Arts & Design where you will require a minimum score of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.

Exceptions for Tier 4 English Language Evidence and Programme Entry for Undergraduate Study Abroad Students

You do not need to prove your knowledge of English for Tier 4 or for entry to our programme if you are a non-native speaker of English and one of the following applies to you:

  • You are applying to come to the UK for a study abroad programme as part of a university degree course in the USA. The Home Office does not require you to provide proof of your English language ability but the University of Westminster does require you to submit an academic reference if you have studied in the US at degree level for less than 2 year.
  • You have studied in the UK before as a Tier 4 (Child) student.

Study Abroad with an Internship or for an academic year

There are different rules that apply for any student wishing to undertake an internship programme or any programme of study that requires a Tier 4 visa, for example, a full year programme. Details of English language entry requirements for these programmes can be found on the visa section of our website.

Make an application

Apply for our Study Abroad Programme.