Postgraduate Semester Study Abroad entry requirements
- You must be a graduate and hold an undergraduate degree.
- If you are student from a country using the GPA system you must have graduated with a cumulative GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. If you wish to study at the School of Media, Arts and Design you must have graduated with a cumulative 3.0 grade on a 4.0 scale.
- If you are from a country with a different grading system, you must have graduate with a C grade or good or equivalent. If you wish to study at the School of Media, Arts and Design you must be have graduated with a B grade or very good or equivalent.
- If you wish to participate in the internship element of the programme you must be currently enrolled in a masters programme in your home country and intend to return to resume your studies after your participation in the study abroad programme.
Postgraduate Semester Study English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you will need to provide official proof of your English language ability. Proof of English must be in the form of a recent IELTS, Pearson, TOEFL or Cambridge English Language Examination score.
To study graduate modules, you will need a minimum score of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, except for modules from the Westminster School of Media, Arts & Design where you will require a minimum score of IELTS 7.0.
Tier 4 Visa requirements and English language qualifications
To undertake the internship programme if you are not a European Economic Area or Swiss national (EEA comprises the countries of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) you will require a Tier 4 visa.
The Home Office requires that you achieve a minimum score of IELTS 5.5 or equivalent in each of the four language components (listening, writing, speaking, and reading).
The University of Westminster in addition requires you to have a minimum score of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, except for modules from the Westminster School of Media, Arts & Design where you will require a minimum score of IELTS 7.0 or equivalent.
The University of Westminster does not accept TOEFL for Tier 4 purposes. More details of the tests we can accept can be found on our Visa requirements page.
Exceptions apply for certain nationals in providing evidence of English language for Tier 4 purposes.
Exceptions for Tier 4 and Programme Entry English Language Evidence
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English for Tier 4 or for entry to our programme if you are a non-native speaker of English if you have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- the Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago