About the Bellagio Project
The Bellagio project addresses the development of international standards and policy for eco-cities, or sustainable cities. At its centre was an international expert meeting that took place in Bellagio (Italy) in September 2012. The multi-disciplinary group of 18 experts from 14 countries included: urban planners and developers; promoters of eco-city indicator and endorsement schemes; policy-makers; and academics.
The Bellagio process was structured around the following themes:
- mapping and comparing various eco-city indicator systems and endorsement schemes
- evaluating the use of eco-city indicators, standards and frameworks within particular policy contexts
- identifying policy needs and opportunities at local, national and international levels
See Bellagio meeting programme.
The Bellagio process resulted in two major outputs:
- a comprehensive report, including the joint ‘Bellagio statement’ as agreed by the participants
- individual interviews with members of the expert group.