Module code: 5WSEL005W
Credit Level: 5
Credit value: 20
Pre-requisites: 90 credits at Level 4
Module leader: Alison Fixsen
Day and time: Thursday 3–7pm
Available to: All students, however some courses already include cross-disciplinary modules and are structured to offer opportunities to expand professional skills. Students on these courses are unable to choose Westminster Plus Electives.
Please note: elective modules are subject to availability.
Effective communication and interpersonal skills are inherent to professional life, this Westminster Plus Elective introduces students to a wide range of verbal and non-verbal communication models and skill sets. You will practice and develop a variety of transferable, interactive and dynamic communication styles such as rapport building, presentations and interviews and will reflect on employability, career-related skills, and self-awareness.
The module aims to develop and enhance your personal and professional competencies and equips you with a diversity of skills required for effective interpersonal communication in a variety of professional contexts.
By completing the module you will be able to design, manage and deliver coherent presentations, demonstrate your understanding of a range of verbal and non-verbal communication skills at individual, group and organisational level, and also demonstrate effective organisational, team-working and reflexive skills.
Subjects covered include:
- verbal and non-verbal communication
- coaching and mentoring
- employability skills
- interviews and presentations
- working in teams and decision making
- and the challenges of interpersonal work such as dealing with stress, conflict, and anger management
A wide range of teaching and learning methods will be used, including:
- videos and external visits
Assessment is divided equally between a group presentation and a reflective case study.
What’s the advantage?
This module is great if you are interested in:
- Developing your skills of effective communication which will be an asset to your current studies and future career objectives
- Understanding how different communication styles and approaches can deliver real impact for your future career journey
- Working with students from a range of disciplines in thinking about why communication is key to both personal and professional success