Module code: 5WSEL015W
Credit Level: 5
Credit value: 20
Module leader: Kristina Vasileva
Day and time: Work placement (flexible schedule)
Available to: All students in all colleges, however, some courses already include cross-disciplinary modules and are structured to offer opportunities to expand professional skills. Students on these courses are unable to choose Westminster Plus Electives.
Please note: Elective modules are subject to availability.
This module offers you the opportunity to develop graduate-level attributes by engaging with the community through volunteering. By the time you complete your volunteering placement you will:
- have identified and achieved personal learning goals
- be able to identify and assess key issues
- have learned about practices and roles within the charity or Non-Government Organisation (NGO) for which you are volunteering
- evaluate your experiences in the organisation in terms of their relevance to your course, career planning and aspirations
This module is tied to a period of voluntary work of at least 75 hours, normally with a registered charity or NGO of your choosing. In some cases, placements may be secured through the Student Volunteering Service, or you may organise the placement or project yourself. All placements must be approved by the module leader and comply with the University’s guidelines for volunteering.
You will be expected to negotiate voluntary work or a project focus that will fulfil the module learning outcomes, with the organisation and your tutor. Your learning is arranged as practical or work-based learning, and you will meet with your module leader or tutor on a semi-regular basis. Assessment is based on your work plan and a portfolio.
Please note: You will be contacted in September 2017 with further information about how the module will be supported, including information about ways of securing a volunteering opportunity through the University of Westminster’s Student Volunteering Service. If your course already supports a volunteering module, then please do speak with your course leader about the best option to support your volunteering when selecting this module.
What’s the advantage?
This module is great if you are interested in:
- Testing your ability contribute to a wide range of community organisations
- Demonstrating to future employers that you have the skills required to make a difference and impact the world
- Showcasing your social responsibility by gaining experience of working in a charity, NGO or community organisation