Open to full-time international postgraduate students and MBA students in their first semester at Westminster Business School, through the mentoring scheme, you will be assigned a mentor within an industry of your choice. Having a mentor increases your confidence and helps you to gain a cultural insight into your aspired career.
A mentor facilitates personal and professional growth in an individual by sharing the knowledge and insights that have been learned through the years. Mentoring can also help you develop your communication, networking and interpersonal skills.
How the scheme works
During the scheme, you will be matched with an experienced professional who can give you support, impartial feedback, encouragement and guidance in managing your learning and development.
As a mentee, you can only take part in the mentoring once during your first semester. The scheme runs twice a year and you will attend three or four one-hour sessions with your mentor.
The scheme will run as follows:
- September starters: mentoring meetings will take place between January–April
- January starters: mentoring meetings will take place between April–July
You will receive a certificate of participation awarded by Westminster Business School and Careers and Employability Service after successful completion of the programme.
How to apply
To apply for the mentoring scheme, you complete an online application form. You can only do this once you have started your studies at Westminster Business School.
To apply, please follow the 3 stages below:
- Make sure that your CV is up to date, as this will be part of your application. If you need help putting it together, refer to our guide on CVs, cover letters and applications
- Download and complete a copy of the Code of Conduct:
- Complete the application form for the programme. You will be required to log into Engage in order to complete this.
Following the information evening, you are required to attend a group interview, during this, we will assess your level of need for a mentor and your motivation for the programme. If you are successful after this, you will be accepted onto the programme and assigned a mentor.
These are the shortlisting criteria for the Postgraduate and MBA International Mentoring Scheme:
- The scheme is for registered full-time students at Westminster Business School, studying your first semester
- The scheme is available to international postgraduate students (from outside the EU) or MBA students (either UK, EU or International)
- If you are an international student, you must not have lived in the UK or EU for more than 3 years, nor have worked in the UK for more than 1 year. Some exceptions to this do apply
- You must have a good level of written and oral communication. If your application is shortlisted, your ability to communicate will be assessed during your group meeting with a member of the business experience team.
- Students need to submit their fully completed online application form and submit any supporting documents by the deadlines stated. We are not able to process late or incomplete applications.
Please note that the criteria above are not exhaustive and are subject to the discretion of the Mentoring Team.
If you have any questions please send us an e-mail at: [email protected]