Leisure, religion and mobility: Quintin Hogg and the Regent Street Polytechnic
Studentships in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Westminster
Three years, full time
£16,000 annual stipend plus fee waiver for three years amounting to £5,000 per year
Although Quintin Hogg’s personal archive no longer exists, his vision and his work are in evidence throughout the archive. His work had at its core a commitment to change and movement across various areas of life – social, political, educational, geographical, environmental and religious. The life of the Regent Street Polytechnic (RSP) as captured in the archive evidences its dynamic relationship to change and movement during the Victorian era and much of the 20th century.
Projects suggested by the collection on Quintin Hogg and leisure, religion and mobility are:
- movement between the city and the countryside, and between the UK and overseas, in particular through the Rambling and Cycling Clubs
- sport and ‘muscular Christianity’
- sport, women and mobility
- the religious and spiritual life of the Regent Street Polytechnic
- education as social mobility
- the geographical and cultural origins of the student body
The criteria for selection will be as follows:
- Standard University entry criteria.
- The studentship is open to both home/EU and overseas applicants, although the fee waiver will remain at £5,000 so the difference will need to be made up by overseas students themselves.
- Preferably the studentship will go to an excellent proposal from a University of Westminster alumnus.
- The successful proposed project will show evidence of intellectual excellence, of crossing and challenging disciplinary boundaries, and of making excellent use of the Archive.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment to the doctoral research community of the Faculty and the University and to disseminating the significance of the Archive both internally and externally.
If you have any questions on the project, please contact Dr Leigh Wilson at email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 10 February 2017.