Professional and short courses
|Location||Cavendish, Central London|
|Faculty||Science and Technology|
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) is an empirically supported eight-week training course designed to cultivate the skill of self-compassion.
Based on the ground-breaking research of Kristin Neff and the clinical expertise of Christopher Germer, MSC teaches core principles and practices that enable you to respond to difficult moments in your life with kindness, care and understanding.
Our Mindful Self-Compassion course includes eight weekly sessions of 3 hours each, in addition to a 4-hour retreat. You should plan to attend every session and practise mindfulness and self-compassion at least 30 minutes per day throughout the programme.
Benefits of self-compassion
Rapidly expanding research demonstrates that self-compassion is strongly associated with:
- emotional wellbeing
- less anxiety, depression and stress
- maintenance of healthy habits such as diet and exercise
- satisfying personal relationships
And it’s easier than you think.
|Courses open for booking|
|Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|27 September 2017||8 weekly sessions, plus a 4-hour workshop||Wednesdays 5.30–8.15pm, plus a Saturday workshop||£350||Book now|
Activities during the course include:
- short talks
- experiential exercises
- group discussion
- home practices
Mindful Self-Compassion is a workshop rather than a retreat. The goal is for you to directly experience self-compassion and learn practices that evoke self-compassion in daily life.
While some difficult emotions may arise when practising self-compassion, MSC teachers are committed to providing a safe, supportive environment for this process to unfold, and to making the journey interesting and enjoyable for everyone.
After participating in this Mindful Self-Compassion workshop, you will be able to:
- practise self-compassion in daily life
- understand the empirically supported benefits of self-compassion
- motivate yourself with kindness rather than criticism
- handle difficult emotions with greater ease
- transform challenging relationships, old and new
- manage caregiver fatigue
- practise the art of savouring and self-appreciation
- Justin Haroun, Mindful Self-Compassion Teacher
- Kate Fismer, Mindful Self-Compassion Teacher
- Thea Fitch, Mindful Self-Compassion Teacher
You do not need any previous experience with mindfulness or meditation to attend.
We recommend that you read one or both of following books before or during the programme:
- The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself, by Kristin Neff
- The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion, by Christopher Germer
This programme fulfills one of the prerequisites for becoming an MSC teacher. For more information on MSC and MSC Teacher Training, visit the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion website.