Professional and short courses
RICS APC: Planning
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
|Faculty||Architecture and the Built Environment|
This evening class prepares you for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors' (RICS) assessment of professional competence (APC), focusing on planning.
This course provides an overview with practical examples of the planning competency. It will include national and local planning policies including spatial planning, and the planning applications and appeals. We will cover important matters that often arise at the APC.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for you if you are undertaking the RICS APC final assessment on commercial, planning and development, residential and valuation pathways.
The course is also for you if you already have a working understanding in the subject area but would like to undertake formal continuing professional development, refreshing or enhancing your skills.
|Courses open for booking|
|Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|19 September 2018||2 hours||Wednesday 6–8pm||£60||Book now|
The course will provide you with a technical, professional and practical outlook on the subject matter.
We will cover:
- an overview of the planning system
- the strategic planning framework
- conservation areas
- use class order and general permitted development
- spatial planning
- planning applications and appeals
- viability studies
Teaching and learning methods
The course will be delivered using a formal lecture approach and give you the opportunity to interact using questions and answers throughout.
We will use a wide variety of learning methods and techniques including:
- sharing experiences with colleagues
- case studies
- debate and discussion
- self-directed reading and research
By the end of this course you will:
- understand the main principles of national and local planning including the strategic planning framework and localism
- be aware of how to make applications and appeals including viability studies
- understand the implications of green belt, use classes order and general development orders
The knowledge and understanding gained from this course will help you demonstrate both a technical understanding and practical appreciation of how the topic matter is used in the surveying profession.
The programme counts for two hours of formal continuing professional development. A certificate of attendance will be available after the course.