Professional and short courses
RICS APC: Development Appraisals
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
|Faculty||Architecture and the Built Environment|
This evening course prepares you for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors’ (RICS) assessment of professional competence (APC), focusing on development appraisals.
We will contrast residual valuations with development appraisals and will provide an overview of the major aspects impacting development.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for you if you are undertaking the RICS APC final assessment on commercial property, planning and development, residential and valuation pathways.
The course is also for you if you already have a working understanding in the subject area but would like to undertake formal continuing professional development, refreshing or enhancing your skills.
|Courses no longer available|
|Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|11 September 2017||2 hours||Monday 6–8pm||£60||Already started|
The course will provide a technical, professional and practical outlook on the subject matter. It will support those undertaking the valuation and investment management competencies of the APC.
You will gain an understanding of:
- comparing and contrasting development appraisals and residual valuations
- the meaning of sustainable development
- the development process – physical characteristics
- the development process – legal matters
- appraising sites using the residual method
Teaching and learning methods
The course will be delivered using a formal lecture approach, and will give you the opportunity to interact using questions and answers throughout.
We will use a wide variety of learning methods and techniques including:
- sharing experiences with colleagues
- case studies
- debate and discussion
- self-directed reading and research
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- appreciate the differences between development appraisals and residual valuations
- understand how a range of factors shape development opportunities
- appreciate how appraisers use different methods to consider viability or value
- determine how valuers gain input costs to populate a residual valuation
- reflect on various metrics associated with development performance
The knowledge and understanding gained from this course will help you demonstrate both a technical understanding and practical appreciation of how the topic matter is used in the surveying profession.
The programme counts for two hours of formal continuing professional development. A certificate of attendance will be available after the course.