Professional and short courses
MSP® – Managing Successful Programmes Certification
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
|Faculty||Westminster Business School|
This programme management course supports you in the successful delivery of transformational change through applying proven programme management practices. The Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) certification is very flexible and designed to be adapted to meet the needs of local circumstances.
MSP® was developed as a best practice guide on programme management. The guide comprises a set of principles, governance themes and a set of processes for use when managing a business transformation.
The MSP® framework is based on three core concepts:
- MSP® principles: these are derived from positive and negative lessons learned from programme experiences. They are the common factors that underpin the success of any transformational change.
- MSP® governance theme: these define an organisation's approach to programme management. They allow an organisation to put in place the right leadership, delivery team, organisation structures and controls, giving the best chance for success.
- MSP® transformational flow: this provides a route through the lifecycle of a programme from its conception through to the delivery of the new capability, outcomes and benefits.
There are two levels within the course, each examined separately: the Foundation level and the Practitioner level, which you can take sequentially or at separate times.
|No course dates available|
|Register your interest and we will let you know once we have new dates.|
Book the MSP® Foundation and Practitioner course together for a discounted fee of £1,095.
The purpose of the MSP® Foundation level is to confirm you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of the MSP® guidance to interact effectively with those involved in the management of a programme or act as an informed member of a programme office team, business change team or project delivery team working within an environment supporting MSP®. The Foundation qualification is also a pre-requisite for the practitioner certification.
The exam has the following format:
- multiple choice
- 75 questions per paper with 1 mark available per question
- 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) – 50%
- 60 minutes duration
- closed book
The purpose of the MSP® Practitioner level is to confirm you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of the MSP® guidance to act as an informed member of a programme management team. This level is also required for programme management professionals progressing toward the Advanced Practitioner certification, and those aspiring to become programme management professionals in the future.
The MSP® Practitioner course follows on from the Foundation course, where we introduced the method, its philosophy and its terminology. It focuses on the more intricate aspects of the method. Based on a case study, the method is put into practice through a series of challenging questions that mirror the questions of the exam.
The course consists of a series of classroom lectures and group exercises. The lectures introduce the method’s terminology, then we will discuss case studies to explain how to use the method in practice. We will provide supplementary learning material via the University’s online learning platform. At the end of each day we will use multiple choice questions to remind us of the day’s learning and to prepare us for the certificate exam.
The exam has the following format:
- objective testing
- 8 questions per paper, each carrying 10 marks
- 40 marks required to pass (out of 80 available) – 50%
- two-and-a-half hours duration
- open book (only the MSP® guide is allowed)
The content of the course follows the contents of the method’s manual, which we will send to you before the course start. You will need to read the manual before you attend your first teaching session.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- use best practice in programme management to successfully deliver transformational change
- carry out the coordinated organisation, direction and implementation of a dossier of projects and transformation activities to achieve outcomes and realise benefits of strategic importance to the business
- manage the transition of the solutions developed and delivered by projects into the organisation’s operations, while maintaining performance and effectiveness
- encourage realistic expectations of the organisational capacity and ability to change
- lead business transformation accommodating high levels of complexity, ambiguity and risk
For your organisation
The course will help your organisation to:
- align corporate strategy, delivery mechanisms for change and the business-as-usual environment
- continually monitor progress, assess performance and realise benefits, and apply a common framework of understanding for all programmes
- add value by focusing on benefits
- encourage feedback to refine future strategies based on evidence from programmes
The course is open to anyone who is managing a number of projects and is interested in programme and project management or in a position where programme management is an important aspect of their role.
Programme, portfolio and project management is a contemporary career that is so generic it is applicable to any business sector. This qualification offers you opportunities for a career change or internal advancement in most organisations – medium or large, UK or international, government or non-government.
Including MSP® Practitioner in your CV will add a sought-after qualification to your profile which could help increase your earning potential. Adding the MSP® Practitioner qualification to the profile of those who already have the PRINCE2® qualification will distinguish you further in the job market.