Professional and short courses
Management and Leadership Development
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
|Faculty||Westminster Business School|
Our five-day intensive Management and Leadership Development course is designed to provide promising executives and functional specialists with the skills, tools and competencies they require for effectively operating in today’s constantly changing and challenging business environment.
The programme will enable you to:
- meet existing and future business challenges with capability, credibility and confidence
- develop the skills, knowledge and competencies that maximise management and leadership potential
- grow and enhance their international business networks
Based in central London, Westminster Business School is one of the UK’s largest hubs for business and management education, highly regarded for blending academic expertise with real-world business experience. Our focus is on delivering education and development opportunities that enable current and aspiring business leaders to make a real difference to their organisations.
|Courses open for booking|
|Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|14 November 2016||5 days||Monday–Friday 9.30am–5pm||£1,950||Book now|
|27 February 2017||5 days||Monday–Friday 9.30am–5pm||£1,950||Book now|
Practical tools and techniques to build and monitor effective strategies that ensure you achieve business objectives.
This session will:
- introduce you to the principles of the resource based view of strategy development
- show how competitive advantage can come from the possession of resources that are valuable, rare, inimitable and un-substitutable
- present a structured way of assessing strategic priorities
- provide a structured method for assessing strategic options
Leading organisational change
This session provides a toolkit that covers how to:
- manage the rational and emotional impact of change
- overcome blockers, whether personal, cultural or procedural
- support colleagues who need to face up to and make difficult decisions
- generate the confidence to make a difference
Leading in a changing environment
This session enables you to:
- understand, appreciate and learn from the accumulated wisdom and experience of some of the world’s most profound leaders
- familiarise yourself with the different trends in leadership research
- review your current leadership style and set development targets
- identify the values that are core to their life and underpin their actions
This session will equip you with the knowledge and skills to:
- identify sources of funding for business projects
- refinance existing, costly loans
- ascertain the financial soundness of a business and detect early warning signals of possible financial stress
- enhance an organisation’s credit image, and gain access to capital at substantially reduced rates
- understand the terms, conditions and pre-requisites for raising finance from the international capital markets
Marketing for the progressive organisation
Covering both business-to-consumer and business-to-business markets, this session includes the theory and practical exercises that ensure you can:
- evaluate your organisation’s marketing practices
- understand the key concepts and tools required to maximise marketing success across your organisations
An introduction to PRINCE2®, one of the world’s most widely used project management methodologies.
The session will:
- cover key elements of PRINCE2®
- provide an aerial view of the methodology’s processes
Accounting for managers
This session provides the skills and knowledge you need to:
- appreciate the financial implications of key business decisions
- manage financial resources efficiently and effectively
- understand the financial position of a company
- analyse and interpret key financial statements
- assess the financial health of an organisation
- apply and evaluate decision-making tools for cost management, operational and strategic planning and control
- prepare and manage budgets
This workshop session is designed to develop your skills and knowledge in corporate entrepreneurship and covers:
- changing mind-sets
- negotiation skills
- identifying new business ideas and assessing their technological, market and financial feasibility
- business planning
Using case study analysis, this session enables you to put into practice what you have learned during the programme, through applying new skills and knowledge to real-world situations.
The course fee includes:
- programme delivery (minimum 30 hours of teaching)
- dedicated delegate support during the five-day programme
- certificate of attendance
- course folder and course materials
- lunch during each of the five teaching days
- two tea/coffee breaks during each teaching day
- welcome reception
- farewell reception (presentation of certificates)
There are no formal entry requirements; however, the course has been developed for individuals in general or functional management positions across all sectors. These include:
- general managers
- heads of department
- project managers
- change managers
This course is taught in English hence a good working knowledge of the language is essential.
Led by Dr Frances Ekwulugo, who has worked and consulted across private and public sectors in the UK and overseas, the programme offers a combination of rigorous academic thinking and practical input to challenge and update traditional views of management and leadership.
"Helped me brush up on my leadership and management skills. I also had the opportunity to connect and build potentially enduring and mutually beneficial relationships."
Oscar Calstrom, Content Moderator at Badoo, Brazil
"Boosted my confidence and improved my decision making skills."
Samson Ijanboh, Logistics and Facilities Manager at London Underground
"Provided me with tools and techniques that I can apply to my line of work. It has also validated a lot of my thinking and shown me I’m on the right track."
Keith Nation, Technology Partner at ORM London
How to apply
Please apply for this course online by clicking on the ‘Book now’ button on the Course Overview tab. Alternatively you can complete a registration form (DOC) and email or post it to:
Mario da Costa
Westminster Business School
University of Westminster
35 Marylebone Road
London NW1 5LS
Payment can be made online or by bank transfer. Download our bank details (PDF).
Please note that the University of Westminster reserves the right to cancel this course if minimum attendance levels have not been fulfilled.
In the event of cancellation, we will endeavour to give you four weeks’ notice and will provide a full refund of course fees.