Diploma in Translation exams
One of the longest-running Diploma in Translation exam centres
The Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) is the oldest professional qualification of its kind, widely recognised by employers in the UK and around the world, and intended for working translators and for those who wish to embark on a career in professional translation.
It is a postgraduate-level professional qualification offered by the IoL Educational Trust (IoLET).
To obtain the DipTrans you must sit an exam, which takes place every year in January and is composed of the following three units:
- Unit 1: written translation of a general text
- Unit 2: written translation of a semi-specialised text in either technology, business or literature
- Unit 3: written translation of a semi-specialised text in either science, social science or law
Our central London facilities offer unparalleled exam conditions for our candidates and we offer the widest range of taught courses for the DipTrans in the country. To prepare for this very competitive exam, enrol for our Introduction to Translation Skills and Diploma in Translation courses.
The January 2018 exam will be offered both by hand and by computer.
Timetable and dates
- Monday 15 January 2018 (evening) – IT training for the candidates taking the exam by computer
- Tuesday 16 January 2018 – exam: from all languages into English
- Wednesday 17 January 2018 – exam: from English into all languages
Diploma in Translation exam fees
The fees below include both the exam fee and the centre fee.
|Units taken||By computer||By hand|
|Unit 1 only||£480||£465|
|Unit 2 only or Unit 3 only||£373||£358|
|Any two units||£741||£716|
|Units 1, 2 and 3||£804||£769|
Before you can take the exam
To be able to take the Diploma in Translation exam you must be registered as an IoLET affiliate. Examination entries will not be accepted from candidates who are not registered with CIOL as an IoLET affiliate.
The deadline for booking is 31 August 2017.