Centre for the Study of Democracy
CSD supports a vibrant PhD community. Current doctoral students and thesis topics include:
- Aasen, Donald - Constructing Narcoterrorism as Danger: The Politics of Security and Representation.
- al Suwaidi, Ahmed Mohamed Saeed - City regional governance in Abu Dhabi
- Alsancak, Hasan - Public Private Partnerships in Energy Supply Security: A Comparative Study of Turkey and Azerbaijan
- Asenbaum, Johann - Power, Identity and Anonymity in Digital Democratic Innovations
- Bastos, Maria - Imagining Pakistan: The Role of Foreign Policy in the Construction of National Identity
- Bokhari, Syed Kamran - Moderation Among Salafists & Jihadists
- Cooper, Emmeline - Pension Funds, Sustainable Investing and the Promise of Innovative Corporate Governance
- Fontes, Eduarda - Gender, race and power in post-colonial Brazil
- Franklin, Sabine - The Health of West Africa and the role of 21st Century Global Governance
- Gerhards, Jan-joris - Sustainability assessment: towards an integrated approach suitable for multiple urban contexts.
- King, Martin - Deliberation and Decision Making Online: Evaluating Platform Design.
- Kitchen, Ashley - The Workings of the ‘Elected Dictatorship’: Evaluating the Substantive Representation of Women and Legislation on Violence against Women in England and Wales.
- Koroma, Abdul - Non-state violence, social capital and state building
- Ledda, Michele - Education and narratives of government
- Lekhi, Rohit - 'Race', Neoliberalism and the World City.
- Lowton, Zubeida - Sustainability, Resilience and Liveability in the City of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Jamieson Malik, Gemma - How a radical participatory practice came to fit within the dominant hegemony: the case of participatory budgeting.
- Martins, Luis - Collective memory and Deliberative democracy
- Mongini, Harry - Resistance and Biopolitics
- Parrouffe, Pierre - Liberal Democracy and Legitimacy
- Pfenninger, Christian - Anarchism and sovereignty in international relations
- Pycock, Graham - The Politics of Neighbourhood Planning
- Raimondi, Sara - Beyond the Political? Evaluating New Materialist Accounts of Politics.
- Welander, Marta - Identity and the control of human mobility in Europe
- Willers, Rabea - ICT-enabled Citizen Participation in Smart Cities
Examples of recently completed doctoral projects
- Ana E. Carballo - Empowering development: Capabilities, liberation and community in Latin American traditions.
- Robert Cowley - Eco-Cities: Technological showcases or public spaces?
- Baraneh Emadian - The plight of political subjectivity: Two moments of political subjectivation in contemporary Iran.
- Mr Jalal Faiz - Education, conflict and conflict resolution in Balochistan, Pakistan.
- Martin Fortis - Beyond expertise and deliberation: toward an agonistic policy analysis.
- Mrs Elizabeth Greenhalgh - Social media, cultural relations and the British Council.
- Mr Gulawar Khan - Nationalism, federalism and separatism in Balochistan, Pakistan.
- Mr Seokbae Lee - Construction of China and India's national interests: the Tibet question.
- Daniel Matteo - Legitimacy, contestation and the role of private military security companies.
- Mr Moustafa Menshawy - The role of the state in re/constructing the 1973 war discourse in Egypt.
- Thomas Mills - Coordination and complexity: politics and markets in the National Health Service.
- Suhair Mohammed - Islamists and democracy in Sudan: The role of Hasan Turabi 1989-2001.
- Mr Pol Bargues Pedreny - Framing and practice of contemporary peacebuilding.
- Miss Elisa Randazzo - Changing narratives? Conceptualisations of post-conflicts peace-building.
- Miss Jessica Schmidt - Democracy promotion in a post-political world.