Service Agreement with schools
This Service Agreement is intended to clarify the shared and separate expectations and responsibilities of the school and University of Westminster.
These are as follows:
Your school will:
- provide 15-day placements to volunteers who will use their subject knowledge to support small groups of pupils in the classroom
- allocate a member of staff to provide an induction to the school and essential school policies, sign volunteers’ daily attendance log and provide general guidance, and complete an end-of-placement review
- give volunteers the opportunity to teach part of a lesson if considered able by teaching staff, under the supervision of the subject teacher
- ensure that volunteers are not left in charge of a whole class
- notify the University of Westminster immediately if there are any concerns
The University of Westminster will provide volunteers who:
- are undergraduate or postgraduate students with skills in specific subject areas.
- are committed to working on a voluntary basis.
- aim to raise the aspirations of students either informally or through presentations.
- have been assessed at interview to have suitable communication skills for work in schools.
- have provided satisfactory references.
- have been prepared at dedicated training.
- hold an enhanced DBS certificate, which has been obtained by One Westminster, the umbrella body we use to process our DBS checks. If necessary, a full risk assessment is carried out. The information provided is confidential and cannot be shared with schools.
The UWAS coordinator will:
- liaise with the school regarding placement of volunteers
- liaise with volunteers during the placement
- act promptly on any concerns raised by the school
Please direct any queries to:
University of Westminster Explore Teaching Coordinator
E: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 3506 6056