The website www.westminster.ac.uk and its subdirectories and subdomains (the “website”) is provided and managed by the University of Westminster of 309 Regent Street, London W1B 2HW (the “University”).
Our Privacy Statement
Collection of your information
Providing any personal information to the University is strictly voluntary. However, we may not be able to provide you with certain information or services if you do not provide the information requested.
For children who visit the website, special rules apply. The University does not request personal information about children. Where it is clear that an email has been sent or a web form has been completed by a child, their email address and any other personal information is not used for any reason other than in response to their email or web form.
Use of your information
We may contact you by email, post, telephone or fax as appropriate. Your information may be used to:
- provide you with information and publications that you have requested and to respond to your comments and queries;
- notify you about important changes or developments to courses or other University services or to the website;
- provide you with a full range of alumni and external affairs activities, including but not limited to sending you University publications, the promotion of alumni benefits and services and notification of alumni and other events;
- enable the University to provide you with access to secure areas of the website where appropriate;
- contact you as part of a fund raising programme; and
- provide you with further information about the University or to otherwise contact you where the University considers it necessary or appropriate.
Periodically, the Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) will update your personal information - including your home address - from compliant data sources, including publicly available information, to ensure they can continue to post you communications such as the Network magazine.
Your home address may also be used to help optimise alumni engagement activities including, for example, event invitations.
If you no longer wish us to contact you for any of these reasons or at all, please let us know by contacting the Information Compliance Team via email at: [email protected] or in writing to: Information Compliance Team, University of Westminster, 1st Floor Cavendish House, 101 New Cavendish Street, London, W1W 6XH
You may also opt out of receiving certain communications at the point you provide your information through certain web forms on the website.
Disclosure of your information
The information you provide to us may be accessed by or transferred to the University’s:
- academic and administrative departments;
- international offices and partnerships, some of which are located outside of the European Economic Area;
- alumni associations and societies, and sports and other clubs associated with the University; and
- agents contracted for specific alumni-related projects.
Unless required to do so by law, the University will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of your personal information without your consent.
The University uses security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. The University will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires.
The University is not responsible for the privacy and data protection practices of any websites to which links are included on the website. You should be aware when you leave the website and move to any linked or other website, and you should read the privacy and data protection policies and statements contained on any such website.
Cookies are small amounts of information stored on your computer by your browser as a result of accessing the website. Using cookies enables the University to monitor website traffic and to personalise the content of the website to your requirements. This maximises the benefits you gain in using the website and makes it easier to log on and use the website during any future visits.
Access to and updating your information
You are entitled to see the information held about you and you may ask us to make any necessary changes to ensure that it is accurate and kept up to date. If you wish to do this, please contact the Information Compliance Team by email at: [email protected] or in writing to Information Compliance Team, University of Westminster, 1st Floor Cavendish House, 101 New Cavendish Street, London, W1W 6XH.
We are entitled to charge a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.