Having grown up and gone to school in S.E. London (Peckham & Camberwell), I commenced my career as a trainee surveyor with the London Borough of Southwark in 1972.
From 1973 I studied part time at the Polytechnic of the Southbank and graduated with BSc in Surveying (Building).
In 1978 I moved with my wife to Cambridgeshire, where I have resided ever since.
From 1985 until 2007 I was based in Milton Keynes, working initially for Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC) as Principal Building Surveyor within the Estates Department with responsibility for all of the Corporation's non-housing property in a portfolio with a value in excess of £260 million. In the late 1980's the Estates Department was "privatised" and ultimately became the Milton Keynes office of the Michael Laurie Partnership, working under contract to the New Towns Commission (NTC).
In 1993, following the termination of the contract to provide consultancy services to the NTC, I left the Michael Laurie Partnership, and along with two other former MKDC employees established Construction Surveying Associates Ltd, a specialist fee earning Building Surveying practice, amongst whose clients were names such as Abbey National and Deloitte & Touche. In 2004 I left CSA Ltd. and joined the Milton Keynes office of Brown & Lee Chartered Surveyors as their Building Surveying Partner.
In March 2007 I resigned from Brown & Lee in order to "take time out" and spend the summer with my wife who was recovering from cancer.
Outside of the University of Westminster I carry out a number of activities relating to my professional life as a Chartered Building Surveyor and Building Engineer some of which I have listed below
- Active member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. Previously a member of the committee of the RICS Berks, Bucks and Oxon (BB & O) Branch and Local Association.
- Past Chairman of the RICS Great Ouse Area and RICS BB & O Branch
- Adviser to the Brooke Review Committee on the future organisation of the RICS (2003-04)
- Founding Director of 3CPD Ltd
- Active member of the organising committee for the annual Building Surveyors Oxford Briefing and twice chaired this event.
- Co-opted member of the Buildings and Development sub-committee of the Finance and General Purposes Committee of the Council of Buckingham University, where I provide pro-bono advice to promote the effective use of the University estate in accordance with the University's strategic objectivestradesmen.
Since December 2007 I have held the position of Senior Lecturer in Building Surveying at the University and am currently the Building Surveying course leader with overall responsibility for the delivery of the BSc (Hons) Degree in Building Surveying to both full time and part time students.
Within the Undergraduate studies programme my specialist areas of teaching at level 6 are Applied Building Surveying, Building Surveying Professional Practice and Building Pathology. At level 5 I specialise in teaching Party Wall Matters and Town and Country Planning Control. At level 4 I teach a broad range of subjects including Introduction to the Built Environment, Domestic Building Construction, Site Surveying & Measurement and Construction Communication and Graphical Skills.
Within the Postgraduate studies programme my specialist area of teaching is Facilities Management