Currently, I am a Research Associate in Cloud Computing at the Centre for Parallel Computing, University of Westminster. My current work is basically related to COLA project which is one of the European Horizon2020 innovations projects. I completed my PhD and MSc in Computer Science at the University of Manchester; Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems at Ain Shams University, and BSc at Suez Canal University.
I have more than 9 years experience in teaching computer science for undergraduates, postgraduates and adult learners at University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, Suez Canal University and Local Cisco Networking Academy. My Computer Science teaching experience can be summarized in the following areas:
- Fundamentals of Distributed Systems and Distributed Computing.
- Computer Networks (Network Fundamentals, Routing Protocols and Concepts, LAN Switching and Wireless, and Accessing the WAN).
- Database development (Oracle SQL, PL/SQL, Forms and Reports).
- Software Engineering Concepts and Pattern-Based Software Development.
- Machine Learning.
My current research focuses on the autonomic orchestration of applications in Cloud environments. I am currently working on the COLA project which is one of the European Horizon2020 innovations projects.
COLA is an Innovation Action funded by the European Commission as part of the Horizon2020 Programme. The COLA consortium includes 10 companies and four research organizations from six European countries, including the United Kingdom, Hungary, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, and Germany. The output pf COLA project is the MiCADO software which is an auto-scaling framework for docker applications. MiCADO supports auto-scaling at two levels; namely, the virtual machine (VM) and the container level. At the VM level, a built-in Kubernetes cluster is dynamically extended or reduced by adding or removing cloud VMs. At the container level, the number of replicas implementing a Docker service can be increased or decreased.
- Mosa, Abdelkhalik, and Norman W. Paton. "Optimizing virtual machine placement for energy and SLA in clouds using utility functions." Journal of Cloud Computing 5.1 (2016): 17.
- Mosa, Abdelkhalik, and Rizos Sakellariou. "Virtual machine consolidation for cloud data centers using parameter-based adaptive allocation." Proceedings of the Fifth European Conference on the Engineering of Computer-Based Systems. ACM, 2017.
- Mosa, Abdelkhalik, and Rizos Sakellariou. "Dynamic Tuning for Parameter-Based Virtual Machine Placement." 2018 17th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC). IEEE, 2018.
- Mosa, Abdelkhalik, and Rizos Sakellariou. "Dynamic Virtual Machine Placement Considering CPU and Memory Resource Requirements." 2019 IEEE 12th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD). IEEE, 2019.