Professor Christian Fuchs
Professor of Social Media
I'm part of
His fields of expertise are critical digital & social media studies, Internet & society, political economy of media and communication, information society theory, social theory and critical theory.
He is the author of numerous publications in these fields, including the books:
- "Internet and society. Social theory in the information age" (Routledge 2008)
- "Foundations of critical media and information studies" (Routledge 2011)
- "Digital labour and Karl Marx" (Routledge 2014)
- "Social media: A critical introduction" (Sage 2014)
- "OccupyMedia! The Occupy movement and social media in crisis capitalism" (Zero Books 2014)
- "Culture and Economy in the Age of Social Media" (Routledge 2015)
- "Reading Marx in the Information Age: A Media and Communication Studies Perspective on Capital Volume 1" (Routledge 2016)
He has co-edited:
- "Internet and surveillance. The challenges of web 2.0 and social media"(Routledge 2012)
- "Critique, social media and the information society" (Routledge 2014)
- "Social media, politics and the state" (Routledge 2014)
- "Marx and the Political Economy of the Media" (Brill 2016)
- "Marx in the Age of Digital Capitalism" (Brill 2016)
- "Reconsidering Value and Labour in the Digital Age" (Palgrave Macmillan 2015)
He is also:
- Editor of tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society
- Member of the European Sociological Association's Executive Committee
- Former Chair of the European Sociological Association's Research Network 18 - Sociology of Communications and Media Research
- Co-founder of the ICTs and Society Network
- Vice-Chair of the European Union COST Action "Dynamics of Virtual Work"
- Academic leader of the University of Westminster's involvement in the EU Horizon 2020 project netCommons: Network Infrastructure as Commons (2016-2018)
- Editor the the University of Westminster Press-Book Series "Critical Digital and Social Media Studies"
- Principal investigator and academic coordinator of the University of Westminster's involvement (2012-2015) in the EU FP7 projects PACT- Public Perception of Security and Privacy and RESPECT- Rules, Expectations & Security through Privacy-Enhanced Convenient Technologies
- Principal investigator in the research project "Social Networking Sites in the Surveillance Society" (funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF, 2010-2014)
Christian Fuchs was involved in founding the University of Westminster's MA in Social Media, Culture and Society and the MA in Digital Media & Society at Uppsala University. His teaching is in the areas of the political economy of communication, critical theory, social media & society, Internet & society, information society studies, media & society. He supervises PhD students in these fields and welcomes proposals from prospective doctoral students who especially want to critically study the Internet, digital and social media in the context of the information society.
Christian Fuchs' Net Politics Blog: http://fuchs.uti.at/blog
Westminster Institute for Advanced Studies: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/wias
Communication and Media Research Institute: http://www,westminster.ac.uk/camri