Christian Fuchs is Professor at, and the Director of, the Communication and Media Research Institute.
His fields of expertise are critical digital & social media studies, Internet & society, political economy of media and communication, information society theory, social theory, and critical theory.
He is the author of numerous publications in these fields, including the books:
- "Internet and society. Social theory in the information age" (Routledge 2008)
- "Foundations of critical media and information studies" (Routledge 2011)
- "Digital labour and Karl Marx" (Routledge 2014)
- "Social media: A critical introduction" (Sage 2014, 2nd edition 2017)
- "OccupyMedia! The Occupy movement and social media in crisis capitalism" (Zero Books 2014)
- "Culture and Economy in the Age of Social Media" (Routledge 2015)
- "Reading Marx in the Information Age: A Media and Communication Studies Perspective on Capital Volume 1" (Routledge 2016)
- "Critical Theory of Communication: New Readings of Lukács, Adorno, Marcuse Honneth and Habermas in the Age of the Internet" (University of Westminster 2016, open access book), Critical Digital & Social Media Studies Book Series Volume 1
- "Digital Demagogue: Authoritarian Capitalism in the Age of Trump and Twitter" (Pluto 2018)
- The Online Advertising Tax as the Foundation of a Public Service Internet (University of Wesminster Press 2008)
- Nationalism on the Internet: Critical Theory and Ideology in the Age of Social Media and Fake News (Routledge 2020).
- Rereading Marx in the Age of Digital Capitalism (Pluto 2019).
- Marxism. Karl Marx’s Fifteen Key Concepts for Cultural and Communication Studies. Key Ideas in Media & Cultural Studies Series (Routledge 2020).
- Communication and Capitalism: A Critical Theory (University of Westminster Press 2020).
He is also:
- Editor of tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society
- Member of the European Sociological Association's Executive Committee (2015-2017)
- Former Chair of the European Sociological Association's Research Network 18 - Sociology of Communications and Media Research (2011-2015)
- Co-founder of the ICTs and Society Network
- Vice-Chair of the European Union COST Action "Dynamics of Virtual Work" (2012-2016)
- Academic leader of the University of Westminster's involvement in the EU Horizon 2020 project netCommons: Network Infrastructure as Commons (2016-2018)
- Editor the the University of Westminster Press-Book Series "Critical Digital and Social Media Studies"
- Principal investigator and academic coordinator of the University of Westminster's involvement (2012-2015) in the EU FP7 projects PACT: Public Perception of Securty and Privacy and RESPECT- Rules, Expectations & Security through Privacy-Enhanced Convenient Technologies
- Principal investigator in the research project "Social Networking Sites in the Surveillance Society" (funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF, 2010-2014)
Christian Fuchs was involved in founding the University of Westminster's MA in Data, Culture and Society and its MA in Social Media, Culture and Society, and the MA in Digital Media & Society at Uppsala University. His teaching is in the areas of the political economy of communication, critical theory, social media & society, Internet & society, information society studies, media & society. He supervises PhD students in these fields and welcomes proposals from prospective doctoral students who especially want to critically study the Internet, digital and social media in the context of the information society.
Communication and Media Research Institute: http://www.camri.ac.uk
Westminster Institute for Advanced Studies: http://www.wias.ac.uk
For details of all my research outputs, visit my WestminsterResearch profile.