My career in the property and construction started as a building labourer, aged 15. This was followed by a brief spell relining rotary cement kilns at the Blue Circle cement works in Northfleet. I studied photography at Blackpool College and set up as a self-employed professional photographer specialising in architecture and interiors in from 1986 to 2004. I worked for clients in following sectors: property; construction; advertising; architecture; conservation; construction; graphic design; hospitality, museums, property, and the national press. My work was used in 22 countries for annual reports, sales and marketing brochures, billboards, packaging, books, newspapers, magazines, and exhibitions.
I commenced my first degree late in life and graduated with highest marks in the Faculty in June 2007. I joined the University of Westminster as a senior lecturer in construction in September 2007.
I have a BSc in Building Surveying, an MA in Higher Education, and am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I was the BSc Building Surveying Course Leader between 2016 and 2018 and have been the BSc Construction Management Course Leader since 2018.
I am an external examiner for the undergraduate Built Environment programme at Plymouth University.
Previous roles at Westminster have included:
· Admissions Tutor for undergraduate courses in construction 2007-2019.
· Faculty representative at Academic Council since 2013-2019
· Staff governor 2014-2019.
· Member of the University's Nominations Committee 2014-2019.
· Associate Senior Tutor 2016-2018
· Student Union Staff Appreciation Awards 2012: (1 Outstanding Teacher; (2) Outstanding Personal Tutor; (3) Innovation in Teaching.
· University of Westminster Inspiring Learning Award for my work on Learning Futures, 2016.
· Student Union staff appreciation awards 2018: Outstanding teacher.
· Caparo Prize for best graduating student in School of Architecture and the Built Environment, 2007.
· Runner up, Undergraduate Dissertation, CIOB International Innovation and Research Awards, 2007
· RICS London and South East award winner for Building Surveying, 2008.
My main areas of teaching are Materials Science and Building Technology.
My research interests are the energy efficient refurbishment of existing housing and supporting student group work.